S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Overfill= Transmission problems

Old 05-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing with overfilling the transmission a little bit is to get more fluid in the transmission so that supposedly everything gets lubricared faster. Thats what I had explaioned to me. While that can be a good thing, if you overfill too much, there wont be sufficient room in the transmission when the fluid heats up and expands. I dont ever add more than an extra 1/4 of a quart of tranny fluid.

-Ian
Old 05-27-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ian05s2k,May 27 2008, 03:22 PM
The thing with overfilling the transmission a little bit is to get more fluid in the transmission so that supposedly everything gets lubricared faster. Thats what I had explaioned to me. While that can be a good thing, if you overfill too much, there wont be sufficient room in the transmission when the fluid heats up and expands. I dont ever add more than an extra 1/4 of a quart of tranny fluid.

-Ian
it can also froth up and decrease the lubricating abilities of the oil
Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM

overfill + gets hot + expands= DONT FIT
Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The manual specifically warns not to over fill. That's enough reason not to do it. The engineers say it's bad - which trumps any crazy theory that somehow overfilling has benefits.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

On my integra when i would over fill it, it actually felt a lot better, took away alot of notchyness and I figure i could do this with this too and it worked but I guess I over did it and it popped out of gear but eversince I drained it to the proper level it worked fine no problem. I usually put two quarts in there, but for people interested in my stupid mistake (no more bashing ok?) I jacked it up all the way on one side and kept on pumping until it over filled a little and kept on pumping really fast then put the bolt back on.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:33 PM

I did my transmission oil yesterday and tipped the car a bit to overfill. I really can't see how it would be bad. I don't buy the frothing argument, less air would hinder frothing in my opinion.

I really only overfilled by maybe 1/5th of a quart since my car was maybe 2 inches higher from level on the fill side. I overfilled last time as well without any issues.

I would like someone to come with a coherent explanation of exactly why overfill would be bad.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not the air that causes frothing. The gears spinning through an overfilled sump causes it.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:11 PM

who cares bad idea dont do it and to thread starter drain it and fill it to correct level and be done with it...if problem continues try diff fluid or maybe you have messed up the syncros i mean most people dont downshift into first...
Old 06-28-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would any engineering transmission design team design any part to perform perfectly with a minimal amount of lubricant? Personally, I don't think so. Any well designed part is going to have some type of safety zone built in. If this is true, then the transmission already has this safty factor and absolutly would not require any additional lubricant. A slight overfill might be meaningless but that doesn't mean that it OK to do and for all we know, it might not be OK and harmless. Best not to overfill period for other reasons unknown.
My advise- Fill to the exact level recommended by Honda.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Overfilling is an extremely bad idea for numerous reasons. I can't think of any possible benefits.

Quick Reply: Transmission Overfill= Transmission problems