S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TSB 2004 2nd Gear Pops out

Old 10-20-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have experienced this exact issue and resolved it: Early '04 and would pop out of 2nd on hard decel with a bang at times, original owner and religious about maintenance, notchy as hell at the wrong times especially when trying to reverse in the morning. The pop outs were downright dangerous! Speculation was it was my forks or other symptoms of clutch showing signs of wear etc, etc, etc...Sound familiar? It had been getting progressively worse so around 75k I did two things after reading everything I could find: 1. Amsoil MTF Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid and 2. Billman discusses 'rebuilding' the synchros to get rid of notichiness by going through the gears a certain way. (I think it was Billman...). Both at cold, warm and also making sure I go through all the gears on the decel, even if stopped. This combination proved very effective and in fact I just changed the fluid this week at 92k and it looked close to the new stuff and this was after the hardest load period shes ever gone under. Now maybe the second part is voodoo science but it worked for me. Until I read this post I had all but forgotten the almost daily issues I had with notchiness and pop outs. The last pop out was probably a few hundred miles after changing to Amsoil at 75k and the gear rework shifting. I would also say that the shifting is smooth and solid considering the miles (original clutch, diff and engine) and the oil to me has been worth the price (and i swear by OEM stuff whenever I can, but Amsoil seems to work very well with '04/05 transmissions and differentials, can't speak for other S versions).
Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I think I will. You're definitely not the only one who's suggested it. I have a Honda Master Tech I'm going back and forth with on this--he owns his own shop and said he'd be happy to do the fluid swap if I wanted to try it (though he was skeptical).
Old 04-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Thanks very much. I think this sounds too cheap and easy not to try. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be out much (certainly not $1,700). There's also the detent-spring thing that Billman mentioned. I am in touch with a local Honda Master Tech about this. He owns his own shop and has serviced several S2K transmissions in his day. Will keep this thread up to date on what happens.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:17 AM

It has been a month since I had the Honda MTF (clean) replaced with Amsoil MTF Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. The mechanic drove it with me before, and it popped out on him (thank goodness). But he did say that he thought the transmission shifted as well as or better than any other S2000 he had driven, with that important exception. After the switch, he drove it again, and remarked that it felt even better. This time, no pop-out. It has been a month of regular driving, and no pop-outs. I did do some gear-rowing as recommended, and right away I also thought the transmission shifted slicker, and going into 2nd felt easier and better than before. Needless to say, I am thrilled that this vexing issue was apparently solved with an investment of about 80 bucks. Thanks so much to those of you who did this and posted your results and recommendations here!
The following users liked this post:
NCC-2000 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

i cannot say enough about how amsoil mtf has been vastly superior to anything else i've tried (i've tried them all). there's not a close second.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 AM

I'm certainly a convert at this point.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM

OK so it has been 7 mos. since I had the MTF swapped out with Amsoil. This weekend, I had a 2nd-gear pop-out, and a few minutes ago I had another one. Until then, none at all. I am leaning toward having the fluid swapped again with fresh Amsoil. I know that stuff should last indefinitely,though. 7 mos. and maybe 3K miles shouldn't warrant a refresh. Thoughts? Is it time to cough up the $ for a transmission tear-down?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't scare me, Amsoil solved my 2nd gear pop-out and I'm hoping that's the end of it! I guess try putting in fresh fluid again and see if it gets solved again.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Billman, which exact detent spring holds second gear? thanks!!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@phillipfrankreid Try changing your clutch fluid, I just changed mine and Im looking into replacing the detent spring that Billman mentioned years ago

Quick Reply: TSB 2004 2nd Gear Pops out