S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Upgraded Differential Housing and Diff

Old 10-14-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Differential Housing and Diff

Looks like our differential woes might be over. I'll post more details as I get them later on. I just wanna give everyone a tease first

This thread is created only to keep a "log book" of updates on the differential solution.

What is being made is the differential housing AND LSD unit. The price I really can't say right now not for a few weeks. It should be incredibly low for what you're going to be getting. I know other members and i have been quoted $7000 for a complete new rear end. This includes beefier axles and driveshaft, but the cost of the two are only about $1800 total. Leaving $5200 in the cost of the diff and housing. The price of the unit to be produced is going to be significantly less than that and be able to withstand a lot of beatings. Right now if I had to give a guesstimate out there, it would be in the $1300-1400 range. Hopefully it will stay at that. That is a great value for what you recieve since most aftermarket diff's cost about $1000 just for the LSD alone. Then the comptech "reinforced" diff is $450. It's been proven over and over that those two really aren't a permenant solution or a real solution at all.

Whatever the maximum rated output of torque the diff. is found to be able to handle should be more than enough to suffice the average s2000 person with average mods at least. There will also be a lifetime warrenty from the manufacturer as long as you stay within application limits and the failure wasn't the result of parts not supplied from the manufacturer (ring and pinion, improper oil, foreign objects, misc).

Best of all, you can keep and use the stock axles and driveshaft.

*edit*The Quaife's diff acts like a 2way LSD which is NOT like the stock unit. Stock unit only provides the LSD effect under accel. This unit works under both accel and decel .
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 AM

BTW, this will be a completely new housing and diff. Not two little over-priced caps on top or modified stock units. Will fit on stock axles and driveshaft. Will utilize stock ring and pinion gears (can use aftermarket gears as well that you guys may have).
Old 10-14-2004, 10:09 AM

details on the diff unit itself:
http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm

also I believe comptech will buy the OEM housings. That should make things a good bit of a lot cheaper as well

Includes a LIFETIME warrenty even if you race the car as long as it was clearly a defect in the product itself and doesn't involve other manufacturer items (i.e. gears). Warrenty doesn't apply if you exceed the maximum torque appliable (i dont think too many of those are gonna happen ).
Old 10-14-2004, 10:14 AM

so what about the housing?
Old 10-14-2004, 10:15 AM

that looks like just the lsd unit it self.. what is that gonna do to strenghten the housing??
i saw your post in h/t also and you still seems to be confused... the housing.. the housing.. the housing.. maybe that will clear this up..
Old 10-14-2004, 10:19 AM

First of all, look at the title. It clearly says Housing and Differential. CLEARLY.

Then in my second post i wrote
BTW, this will be a completely new housing and diff. Not two little over-priced caps on top or modified stock units.
So let me say this again. It is BOTH the HOUSING AND LSD.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:23 AM

One more time for good luck. It will be a complete replacement housing AND LSD. Replaces both of them. You get a new housing. You get a new LSD.

That's 2 things included. The housing is included. The LSD is included. Both of them. Both = 2 items. 1,2.

I hope I made it fairly clear now since there was some confusion left by my posts and the title here and on honda-tech.

Fairly clear that it is BOTH. Not one item. Two.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 AM

Yes, I understand that you have stated both diff and housing. I just see no info on housing yet.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by profpin,Oct 14 2004, 02:15 PM
you still seems to be confused...
I dont think it's me that's confused here.....
Old 10-14-2004, 10:28 AM

So the Quaife ATB LSD has been around and is a proven product. When will you have info on the diff housing replacement? Is it from Quaife? I was unable to find that in on Quaife site.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Differential Housing and Diff