S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve adjustment

Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Valve adjustment

Not sure if this is the correct forum, please move if needed. Car is an 02 bought with 18K now has 23K. After reading about cracked retainers I thought it might be a good idea to have the retainers inspected and the valves adjusted. I took it to an out of town shop that has nothing but good reviews in the local forum. The technican removed the valve cover and started to adjust the valves and I explained about mecanical over rev and did not know how the previous owner drove the car and to please inspect the retainers. He stated if the valve didn't drop in the 5K that I drove, it would be ok. He then proceded with the valve adjustment. When he installed the plugs I asked what he was going to torque them to and he said he never uses a torque wrench on plugs. Cost me $110 for the adjustment. When I got home I pulled the valve cover and inspected the retainers and checked the valves myself. The retainers looked fine but most of the valves were adjusted to tight and could barely get the feeler gauge in there or not at all even when it was at the lower end of the spec. Bottom line I have the shop manual ($30 ebay) and went and bought a valve adjustment tool from Amazon.com for $13 and adusted them myself. The valves can be tricky but if you read the book it's not that hard to do. Now I know the valves are adjusted correctly and my plugs and adjusting nuts are torqued. The picture is of the valve adjustment tool.