S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VALVE RETAINER CHECK 101

Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VALVE RETAINER CHECK 101

Hi All,

After reading all the threads regarding cracked valve retainers and having had a few minor overrevs myself from time to time I have been driving the car around scared to rev it out fully to 9 incase one of my retainers was cracked.

Rather than being paranoid and worrying about it and not wanting to trust my local honda dealer to check them for me I finally got around to checking my valve retainers myself. I have never pulled out a valve cover before and not wanting to mess anything up I was reluctant to do it. I have extensively searched all the forum posts and while they do explain what the problem is, there are no guides on how to do it for people like myself who have done very little under the bonnet. Its a relatively easy check which will give you piece of mind in knowing that your valve retainers are ok and is a small amount of time to invest compared to the cost involved when a valve is dropped.

Time required
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM

Good post buddy...I've been meaning to get around to this.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice write-up.
It's a service manual in words

But.. something I find a little inconsistent:
so I have deduced that they are O.K although a few are a couple which have been pushed in a touch. The now the only time I will be likely to recheck it is after an overrev, and has put my mind at ease.
vs
I think to actually crack the retainers as pictured you would have to either

- Put a small crack in the retainer which perhaps fatigues further over time and gets worse.
During the inspection as described one can never see underneath the retainer, and that's where the cracks starts.
A tiny crack will not show from above as a raised retainer.
If you know you've overrevved your engine, I would check them more then just the once-over and be happy
Maybe you'll catch the fatigue-widened-crack-caused-by-an-overrev-long-time-ago in time that way.
It only takes an hour.
While your waiting for the engine oil to drain...

Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

if you've over-revved the engine, just replace all the retainers (ap2) anyway. its low cost.

have you done a compression and/or leakdown?

my retainers were all fine after my over-rev, but i had slightly warped valve face and warped valve guides and low compression and leakage...

i don't think you're in the clear just yet...
Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM

Subscribed for future reference. Got pics handy of the good vs bad you mentioned?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

I've likely found more broken retainers than anyone. In my experience, even the slightest crack on the underside will send the retainer slightly up the keepers.

They do not have to be as bad as the ones in the pic to be cracked. But even the slightest crack will show a raised retainer.

good on the left.............................................. ......broke on the right

both broke....left is worse
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Best rule of thumb: you should not be able to see even the slightest bit of the inner retainer wall. if you can, it's broken.
The following users liked this post:
Marcio Da Silva (04-05-2020)
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

might i even suggest a dental type mirror to check the undersides of the retainer. when used in conjunction with the pen light a great combo!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2poor2mod,Aug 31 2007, 07:29 PM
might i even suggest a dental type mirror to check the undersides of the retainer. when used in conjunction with the pen light a great combo!!!
I recently picked up a dental mirror with a built in LED light at Walmart. I haven't used it yet, but it may be a good tool for the retainer check.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Banned

just study billman's picture. Print it out and then take this with you when you inspect your retainers. have about 3-4 sweeps and you should be right. Search 'valve retainers' and read every thread Billman250 has posted.

I might get a compression/leak down test as precaution as well, thanks for the advice. Again, small money to pay for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: VALVE RETAINER CHECK 101