S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve seal leakage??

Old 08-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

It is normal after taking off VC for some oil to leak into the header area. Maybe this is what your seeing
The following users liked this post:
K20 (09-01-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:29 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The problem was not present before your work. The work you did was to pull the valve cover and cams and change out the retainers and reassemble, nothing else. Seems its got to be something about the seal between the valve cover and the head.

You say "I notice quite a bit of oil pooling near the exhaust side of cylinder 3 and 4." This is odd. Do you mean there is oil pooling inside the cover, or outside the cover? Are you referencing the oil in the picture that is outside the cover on the engine?

Is there any chance the normal oil under the valve cover is not draining properly? I agree though, it looks like the gasket might be leaking so I would pull the valve cover, clean it up, use new gasket, take care putting it back on following proper procedure. But, try to see if there is any explanation for the oil under the cover not draining to the oil pan properly. That part of your description is the only clue I can see to follow and I'm not crystal clear what you are seeing as far as oil accumulation.

Last edited by rpg51; 08-26-2018 at 02:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
K20 (09-01-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I think a picture would help clarify where. Double check your work and make sure all gaskets and plug tube seals are oriented properly
Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 PM
K20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
OP, the engine is tilted towards the passenger side with the exhaust so of course it runs to that. When you took the VC off did you remove the Cam(TDC) sensors to make clearance to pull the VC off? It looks like your oil is running from the driver side Cam(TDC) sensor O-Ring down the corner of the VC onto the mating surface and running to the exhaust side.

If you did remove your TDC sensors you need new O-Rings
I'm well aware of the orientation; clearly oil accumulation would occur more near exhaust. I just can't figure why yet... Here are some pics of the valve cover with a new gasket. VC was reinstalled very carefully and very flush.

New gasket...no improvement

Old 08-27-2018, 05:30 PM
K20

Originally Posted by rpg51
The problem was not present before your work. The work you did was to pull the valve cover and cams and change out the retainers and reassemble, nothing else. Seems its got to be something about the seal between the valve cover and the head.

You say "I notice quite a bit of oil pooling near the exhaust side of cylinder 3 and 4." This is odd. Do you mean there is oil pooling inside the cover, or outside the cover? Are you referencing the oil in the picture that is outside the cover on the engine?

Is there any chance the normal oil under the valve cover is not draining properly? I agree though, it looks like the gasket might be leaking so I would pull the valve cover, clean it up, use new gasket, take care putting it back on following proper procedure. But, try to see if there is any explanation for the oil under the cover not draining to the oil pan properly. That part of your description is the only clue I can see to follow and I'm not crystal clear what you are seeing as far as oil accumulation.
Here is a picture of the oil accumulation after I turned the car off and took everything off to check

I have also noticed that my oil dip stick level drops 2 "diamonds" in terms of oil level after I start the car

This is an "after" oil level. Before starting the car oil was 1 "diamond" below full mark.

The reason I was thinking it might be the valve seals was maybe I accidentally 'pulled up' one of the seals along with the valve stem as I was decompressing the spring after placing in the AP2 keepers; however I see no abnormality visually...

Last edited by K20; 08-27-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 PM
K20

Started it up again and took a video of the fumes. It actually looks to me now that the smoke is actually coming from exhaust manifold and not the valve cover. Cover is tight and flush.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM
K20

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Have you let the car sit for some hours and checked the piston top for oil through the spark hole to verify it's a valve seal? And have you considered you might need a new header gasket or retorque the header from an exhaust leak, and that it is not from the valve cover?

I wasn't trying to be smart about the orientation just the picture made it hard to see, and I wasn't sure if you removed the TDC sensors, as they leak pretty good if you do. But not enough to smoke that much. Even a bad valve cover gasket typically won't leak that much.
No a worry at all Deckoz!! I'm appreciate all the replies! I'm just stumped on why the smoke (seemingly from exhaust manifold) when nothing was changed except retainers lol....

I visually checked the valve stem/seals after removing everything again however I don't see an issue. Granted, it is very tough to visually inspect the seals without removing the springs and retainers again (which I may have to)....... Here is a pic of the intake valvetrain right after I finished the job

Last edited by K20; 08-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:33 PM
K20

Problem solved. Thank you everyone! The issue ended up being much minor than I thought. A friend who is a mechanic told me to run the car longer. The smoke was actually burning engine oil like some members said which leaked onto the exhaust manifold when I unbolted and removed the cams/cam towers; there were oil stains on the ground right underneath the header area (didn't realize I had spilt so much). I actually had to let the car run for 5-8 mins to heat the headers up enough to burn off all the oil. I just previously shut the car off too early (after ~1 min) which was not enough time to burn off the oil (I was worried as it was a ton of smoke) LOL...I guess thats where mechanics with experience shines. I drove the S2K today and runs like I remember with no issues. Thank you again everyone for your replies!
Old 09-02-2018, 01:51 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Great. But, you reported that you were losing oil at each start up?
Old 09-02-2018, 03:30 PM
K20

Yeah that was the only observation left unaccounted for, and I think I might have an explaination.... When the head was disassembled, there is actually a considerable amount of oil in the channels of the cams/towers, rocker arms/pins, and pooled around the valve area.

When I restarted the car, oil needs to be pumped back into the head from the pan; hence a lower reading. I lost 2 ‘diamonds’ which really is roughly 1/4 of a quart as full to empty on the dipstick is one full quart.

I probably checked and rechecked my oil over half a dozen times before, during, and after driving it yesterday and so far no considerable change in level.

Thanks again, K20

Quick Reply: Valve seal leakage??