S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve Stem Seal Replacement DIY

Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Great write up. I'm curious, how did you narrow the culprit down to the valve stem seals vs other possible causes for oil getting in cylinders?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Great write up. I'm curious, how did you narrow the culprit down to the valve stem seals vs other possible causes for oil getting in cylinders?
it took me about 3 weeks to narrow it down to valve stems seals. The problem started with me leaving my car idling while I ran in my work to grab a couple things and I came out and it just blew clouds of what looked like white smoke. So initially I thought it was headgasket or my intake manifold leaking coolant. Leakdown test proved it wasn't headgasket and I retorqued all my intake manifold bolts so I knew it was not that. Car didn't smoke again so I figured the problem was gone but then I noticed while filling up I had burned a lot of oil in a short mileage.(quarter of a quart in 250 miles as to where i used to only burn a quart every 3000 miles) So I had recently had my injectors cleaned and it had thrown my tune off(I have kpro) So my car was running really rich. Then I was worried my oil rings had been washed out but my compression rings were still fine.(good compression numbers and leakdown numbers). After all of that I stuck a bore scope down my spark plug hole to take a peak of the cylinder walls were scared. Cylinder walls were perfectly fine but after sitting for two days I could see some oil on the #4 piston on the exhaust side. This is when I was fairly positive it had to be the valve stem seals. If my oil burning issue decides to have stuck around after putting some miles even tho so far it seems fixed the only remaining thing it can really be is the oil rings. Hope this fully answers your question of my stressful journey to finding this problem!

Edit: forgot to mention the help of some members here on S2ki. Anyone who posted on my recent posts thanks again!

Last edited by Mullallyman; 03-10-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Halfassjack
Two suggestions. Put some lube on new seals before installing them. I use new motor oil. Also it's better to loosen valve adjust lock nut and back off the adjuster before removing rocker assembly. Saving the time it takes to adjust valves is not worth it. Not loosening them makes it harder to install rocker assembly and easier to damage something. Valve lash will/can change removing and reinstalling rocker assembly. Ask me how I know this.
Updated. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

nice. thank you.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullallyman
it took me about 3 weeks to narrow it down to valve stems seals. The problem started with me leaving my car idling while I ran in my work to grab a couple things and I came out and it just blew clouds of what looked like white smoke. So initially I thought it was headgasket or my intake manifold leaking coolant. Leakdown test proved it wasn't headgasket and I retorqued all my intake manifold bolts so I knew it was not that. Car didn't smoke again so I figured the problem was gone but then I noticed while filling up I had burned a lot of oil in a short mileage.(quarter of a quart in 250 miles as to where i used to only burn a quart every 3000 miles) So I had recently had my injectors cleaned and it had thrown my tune off(I have kpro) So my car was running really rich. Then I was worried my oil rings had been washed out but my compression rings were still fine.(good compression numbers and leakdown numbers). After all of that I stuck a bore scope down my spark plug hole to take a peak of the cylinder walls were scared. Cylinder walls were perfectly fine but after sitting for two days I could see some oil on the #4 piston on the exhaust side. This is when I was fairly positive it had to be the valve stem seals. If my oil burning issue decides to have stuck around after putting some miles even tho so far it seems fixed the only remaining thing it can really be is the oil rings. Hope this fully answers your question of my stressful journey to finding this problem!
Didn't I suggest the seals in your other post?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Didn't I suggest the seals in your other post?
Yes! That was me haha. Thank you for the help
Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullallyman
Not sure yet. I have only put 150 miles on the car so I don't have a good gauge. My car has stopped puffing clouds though so I would say that is a definite improvement. I will update when I hit the 500 mile mark on the improvement.
Hey Mullallyman
Any news to report on the new valve guide seals reducing your oil consumption?
Thanks for your write up
Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up! Thanks for the comprehensive and detailed steps...Pictures are great too!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From everything I've read, I'm experiencing the same issues you had. Would like to hear back and see if this DIY solved your smoking issue.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 year bump

Mullallyman -- where you at? How's your oil consumption? Any updates?

Quick Reply: Valve Stem Seal Replacement DIY