S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve Stem Seal Replacement DIY

Old 04-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
+1 year bump

Mullallyman -- where you at? How's your oil consumption? Any updates?
I have an AP1 that burns oil at about 1 quart every 1000 miles. I changed the valve stem seals and saw zero change in consumption.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UPDATE!

Sorry for the delayed response as I have got caught up with other things in my life and the s2000 has been lowered greatly on my priority list. It did improve my oil consumption by about 400 miles per a quart which I consider worth the time to do the replacement. Still burning more oil than I would like and have come to the conclusion that my oil rings are worn as I have great compression and leakdown still. Planning on doing a complete rebuild of the engine and head in the coming year if things go as planned. Hope this helps some people out!
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Also for future reference if anyone has any other questions for me I am pretty active on the Kansas/Missouri s2000 community page on Facebook. Since my car is mostly on hold I don’t spend nearly as much time here on the forum as I used to.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on your oil consumption or diagnosis? Having a similar issue and uncertain as to where the oil is going.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna bump this for 2022, do NOT use a 12 socket to lightly tap the valve stem seal with a hammer. It will get stuck.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Incorrect valve seal placement

I had my head refreshed with just some ap2 retainers and valve stem seals. The machine shop I gave it too accidentally reversed the seals so that the exhaust seals would be on the intake side and intake seals would be on the exhaust side. I have the same super tech seals and I get a lot of smoke after cold start idling for about a minute. Could my issue be that they reversed my valve seals?
Old 03-04-2024, 06:19 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaboy-88
I had my head refreshed with just some ap2 retainers and valve stem seals. The machine shop I gave it too accidentally reversed the seals so that the exhaust seals would be on the intake side and intake seals would be on the exhaust side. I have the same super tech seals and I get a lot of smoke after cold start idling for about a minute. Could my issue be that they reversed my valve seals?
The valves have different thicknesses so I’d imagine so.
The following 3 users liked this post by Soviet:
hondaboy-88 (03-06-2024), Slowcrash_101 (03-05-2024), windhund116 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
The valves have different thicknesses so I’d imagine so.
Thanks I’ve been trying to find out if this could be the culprit but there’s really nothing online that really confirms that reversing this could cause smoke at idle. I’m going to get new seals and swap them around to see if that fixes my issue.
windhund116 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 09:47 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaboy-88
Oh boy... that's definitely not going to work. You'll have to get back in there and replace those seals since even though they're new, pulling them out could damage the seals so reusing them is risky. Besides, original seals can be had for like... $1 a piece last time I bought mine (years ago). Supertech is good but since MEO is that cheap buy them instead (check hondapartsnow or majestic) Sorry, I meant OEM

P.S. the OEM seals are made by Nok so you'll see Nok next to the item description when you order them
The following 2 users liked this post by RolanTHUNDER:
hondaboy-88 (03-06-2024), windhund116 (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Oh boy... that's definitely not going to work. You'll have to get back in there and replace those seals since even though they're new, pulling them out could damage the seals so reusing them is risky. Besides, original seals can be had for like... $1 a piece last time I bought mine (years ago). Supertech is good but since MEO is that cheap buy them instead (check hondapartsnow or majestic) Sorry, I meant OEM

P.S. the OEM seals are made by Nok so you'll see Nok next to the item description when you order them
Ok because I started the motor with it reversed wondering why it was smoking up like crazy after about a minute and a half so I was worried. But then I saw a whole bunch of oil in the fourth exhaust port of the head and I’ve pulled this head off a couple times and never seen any oil there(even after start ups). The only difference this time was the seals were brand new.
windhund116 (03-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Valve Stem Seal Replacement DIY