S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

VSA and misfire help!

Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang i have the have the same problem misfiring on cylinder#3, i sometime mis shift, but i catch it quickly so that it doesnt go all the way up to +6 rpm. It fine when i start it up on cold start, but then eventually every start up cycle from a day it gets a rough idle then it goes to a normal idle. After couple start up i get a CEL.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sevenplaces,Jun 18 2010, 04:29 PM
oh yea... Tried fluid check, injector cleaner first. Next is compression test, then replace plugs, then coilpacks, then injectors.
How many miles you have on your car? If you have an 07, it's still under the powertrain warranty (5 years, 60k miles). The powertrain warranty covers your engine and head (plus transmission and drive system). I hope you're under 60k miles b/c this will be free for you.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rdizzle,Jun 19 2010, 10:03 AM
How many miles you have on your car? If you have an 07, it's still under the powertrain warranty (5 years, 60k miles). The powertrain warranty covers your engine and head (plus transmission and drive system). I hope you're under 60k miles b/c this will be free for you.
Not if you have bent valves. Thats how I got screwed by honda. Took my 06 in because of the same issue but on cyl 1 and I figured it would be covered by warranty, 500 bucks later my valve cover, exhaust and intake manifold was off and they said I had bent valves and it would not be covered under warranty. Needless to say I had to tow my car away and do the work myself because honda wanted like 6 grand to replace the head.

If you do have low compression do a valve adjustment, then do another compression test. If the numbers are still low go get a leak down test done and see where compression is leaking. If it's coming from the valves more than likely honda will not cover it even though it's part of the power train warranty.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really surprised to see a few of you 06/07 guys with such out of whack valve adjustments. Wondering if it's a defect from the factory?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Jun 19 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm really surprised to see a few of you 06/07 guys with such out of whack valve adjustments. Wondering if it's a defect from the factory?
Yea I'm not really sure what it is. There's someone here in Dallas as well who had the same problem as me fighting it pretty much at the same exact time. But whatever the reason honda has chosen to not acknowledge it as their fault and both of us had to fix it on our own.

In more detail about why honda wouldn't fix it under warranty. Since the valves were "bent" they concluded it was due to a over rev and so it was a failure upon myself and not their issue. The car was bought 2nd hand and I've never over reved so my guess would be the previous person has. But in light of that the valves were not bent, I took it to a machine shop to have the head rebuilt and they told me it just needed new seats and that the valves were perfectly fine.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked them at 5k miles and three were off. Rechecked at 45k and they were fine.

J
Old 06-20-2010, 08:51 AM

i am at 54k miles. just drove for about an hour after resetting ecu and moving all 4 coilpacks around. Same blink codes 7-1 7-2 and now 7-5. I can't find a list that includes the blink code 7-5, anyone know what this could be?

So being that I am under 60k, what is exactly covered? Would they do a valve adjustment for free? I know I have not overrevved or misshifted for sure.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sevenplaces,Jun 20 2010, 11:51 AM
i am at 54k miles. just drove for about an hour after resetting ecu and moving all 4 coilpacks around. Same blink codes 7-1 7-2 and now 7-5. I can't find a list that includes the blink code 7-5, anyone know what this could be?

So being that I am under 60k, what is exactly covered? Would they do a valve adjustment for free? I know I have not overrevved or misshifted for sure.
I doubt they would do a valve adjustment for free. But it's easy to do there's a DIY for that as well. I guess you can take it to honda to see what they say about it, but if they point the issue at the valves then I would suggest getting a leak down test done if your compression is bad to find out where it's leaking compression and go from there.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Alright, some updates:

After all of the cars I have had and this newest problem I just decided to buy a code reader. I just drove another hour after resetting and still getting 7-1 and 7-2. It turns out that 7-5 is P0300 which is the code that in conjunction with P0301,2,3,4 means random misfire.

I have noticed that the CEL always hits when the car is idling or at least <2.5k RPM.

I am pretty sure I have ruled out the coils, so do I pull the plugs next?

Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention. I DID fill up at a 76 station (I always use chevron/shell) the last time I filled up before this happened. Any bad gas stories from 76?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 PM

No but poor gas could cause misfires. Pull your injectors out and make sure they are not dirty and check your plugs.

Quick Reply: VSA and misfire help!