S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water leaking into trunk in heavy rainfalls

Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Water leaking into trunk in heavy rainfalls

Hi fellow S2000 owners

I'm from Switzerland, new to the forum (hi again) and also to owning an S2000. And any car, for that matter. Mine is a 2002 model in Silverstone silver and the all-red interior with around 145'000 kilometers (approx 90k miles) on the clock. I'm extremely happy with it, drives unlike anything I've driven before.

Anyhow, the reason for this first post is, you might have guessed from the title, that somehow, rainwater enters the trunk during heavy rainfalls. It's quite a lot, too, leaving a small puddle at the lowest point of the trunk. It appears to be entering from the right side of the car, as there was a wet trace leading from the lowest point in the trunk upwards in the crevice between the floor and rear wall surface panels. Then it stops somewhere around the middle of the length of the trunk on the tight side of it. I talked to a Honda mechanic about it and he said it might be coming from the right rear headlight. But when I took it to the garage where I bought it (not specialized in Hondas), they said they couldn't find anything behind that headlight, or anywhere else in the trunk...

It's only really heavy rainfalls that result in a wet trunk. When I wash it and pour a bucket full of water over the trunk lid, it stays dry inside. In both instances that water entered the trunk during rainfalls, the car was parked, not driving. Luckily, the trunk empty both times.

So, now the question for you, has anyone of you had a similar problem with their S2000 and how did you solve it? I quickly searched the forums here for "leaking trunk" and the like but couldn't find anything that seemed to help me, so here I am, asking you.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

This may be helpful: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...k-boot-872649/
Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Leakage into the trunk is typical with plugged drains which are visible when the roof is down at the front part of the roof frames. Rubber with a drain hole that can fill up with debris such as dirt, leaves, etc.

-- Chuck
Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice diy guide:
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Wow, that was quick, thanks for the replies! I'll be sure to put these tips into action when I get the car back from the garage on Saturday!
Old 06-17-2020, 03:53 AM

Hey everybody

Unfortunately, this problem still persists. I was unable to solve it in 2018 and then sorta gave up and been just avoiding the rain as well as possible. Now, with all the quarantining during corona, I have taken a closer look at it again and found out where it's coming from, sort of. Since none of the how-to guides on the forum (inclusing earlier in this thread) and YouTube tutorials have shown a solution to this way of entry, I thought I'd ask you guys directly and hope some of you have already dealt with it and can help me solve it.

So anywho, the water seems to enter somewhere between where the spare tire sits and the cover behind the passenger seat, see pictures for details. Can one of you tell me what sort of leak would cause water to come from there?

P.s. yes, that black stuff on the very right of the first picture was me trying to apply silicone to the problem like an absolute pro, because there is water coming in from there as well.... please ignore

Old 06-17-2020, 04:02 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

It likely can only be one of two things

Either your antenna leaks, (make sure the base is oriented the right way) and it's running down the antenna wire.

Or your soft top drain is clogged and overflowing
Old 06-17-2020, 06:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
It likely can only be one of two things

Either your antenna leaks, (make sure the base is oriented the right way) and it's running down the antenna wire.

Or your soft top drain is clogged and overflowing
Drain holes sounds like the problem. After heavy rain I could hear water sloshing around behind me, so I got a piece of stiff wire and pushed it down through my drain holes. I then ran a few gallons of hot water with just a little soap down each drain hole, intermittently pushing the wire down through the drain hole until I could see it coming out the bottom of the drain in front of each rear tire. A lot of junk came out! I used a bottle brush to clean the "reservoir" that captures water coming off the soft top to prevent them from immediately clogging back up. I even found a screw in my driver side - which I managed to get out with a magnetic spark plug socket. I've since made a point to do this every time I change my oil. You can do it while you wait for the oil to drain. No problems since.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mjhenk:
Deckoz (06-17-2020), TooSoonSr. (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:38 PM

Hey guys

Thanks for the quick responses!

Hm, interesting you both go for the drains. After testing them as suggested in the video above (pour water down the side of the roof), I actually ruled out the drains since the water I was testing with was coming out at the bottom as it's supposed to. However, it might just not have been enough water to really cause a problem, about a litre. Tell you what, I'll wait until it's completely dry in there and try again with more water over the weekend. Then we'll see if it's the drains. If it is, I'll try your solution @Mjhenk

P.s. @Deckoz I think the antenna might be leaking as well, however, the majority of the water seems to be coming from farther inside the car and not from where the antenna sits. But yeah, that might be worth having a look at as well.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:51 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I just mentioned it because mine leaked and the cable is downhill right to where your arrow is.

Takes less than 5min to unscrew the top of the antenna base to make sure it's aligned and tight. If you have an antenna key.

Quick Reply: Water leaking into trunk in heavy rainfalls