S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

weird shake from complete stop

Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird shake from complete stop

1 out of 4 starts(maybe) there is a shake(or multiple clanks) in the pedal, tranny, clutch, diff when I let off of the clutch in 1st gear. It doesn't happen in any other gear or from a rolling start. It's definitely not normal either. I know my description is poor to quite poor.

Yesterday the car smelled awful. It smelled like something was burning. Today its totally fine.

I took it to Conicelli Honda today and they basically told me I dont know how to drive a manual and the clutch is fine. Apparently girls cant drive a stick.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM

It could be driver error - male or female makes no difference. If you haven't driven an S2000 much, it requires a little different driving technique than many other manual cars. This car's engine has very little torque at low RPMs.

Are you keeping the rpms above 2500 or so as you take off? Make sure you are giving more throttle as you release the clutch to avoid lugging or stalling the engine. Hard to tell by ear since the stock exhaust is quiet. Watch the tach.

Of course there could have been a temporary problem yesterday (burning smell) that was causing the engine to run poorly.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM

I've driven a few S2000's before I purchased mine. It happens when my fiancee drives too. Its not just me.

I think the shake happens right after I let the clutch out all of the way. We've had this car for over 2 months now and it just started so I dont think its based on my driving abilities.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by snakeeater,May 7 2008, 09:24 AM
It could be driver error - male or female makes no difference. If you haven't driven an S2000 much, it requires a little different driving technique than many other manual cars. This car's engine has very little torque at low RPMs.

Are you keeping the rpms above 2500 or so as you take off? Make sure you are giving more throttle as you release the clutch to avoid lugging or stalling the engine. Hard to tell by ear since the stock exhaust is quiet. Watch the tach.

Of course there could have been a temporary problem yesterday (burning smell) that was causing the engine to run poorly.
wow 2500......I usually take off and keep it right above stall......I didn't think that was bad for the car. My last car I usually did the same thing and had no issues with it.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM

does the revs drop at any other stage when your driving?

i had this issue aswell just before i service my car. I reset the ECU and it resolved itself. *my car is stock

PS. tell the guy at Conicelli Honda that he is a absolute "C^&K-bag"
Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Still seems to me that your not revving the car high enough to get it going, you gotta launch the s2k at higher rpms than most other cars. I usually take off at aobut 2,000 rpm and hold it there, you gotta slip the clutch a little bit to get it moving smoothly, if you dont give it enough gas that car will shake and vibrate very much like your describing it. Try giving it some more gas from now on and if the problems still persists then you could further investigate, but im almost convinced thats what the problem is, it took me a while to get used the s2k.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 AM

But if thats the case, dont you think I would do the same thing in every other gear? I've tried different things to make it stop doing that, like ya'll are saying with revving it a little higher, but it still happens.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,May 8 2008, 11:02 PM
Still seems to me that your not revving the car high enough to get it going, you gotta launch the s2k at higher rpms than most other cars. I usually take off at aobut 2,000 rpm and hold it there, you gotta slip the clutch a little bit to get it moving smoothly, if you dont give it enough gas that car will shake and vibrate very much like your describing it. Try giving it some more gas from now on and if the problems still persists then you could further investigate, but im almost convinced thats what the problem is, it took me a while to get used the s2k.
This is true and I had the same problem when I first purchased my s2000.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM

i get the vibration if i don't take off with enough gas. it seems like the whole frame of the car shakes. it also happens when i do rolling stops in second gear and speed is really low ... like 5-10mph.

i'm not sure if we're all talkin about the same vibration though. be a little more aggressive with the gas and see if it still does it. i can usually tell when it's gonna happen and can control it with the gas.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM

So my fiancee took the car back to Conicelli Honda today. He wanted them to drive the car again with him in it. The same guy who drove it the first time was there and didnt need to drive it again because when I took it in, he said it needed a new flywheel and clutch.

The guys at the front chose to ignore that. Why? Good question. I'm a bit annoyed by this whole situation.

So thats the deal and it took a lot of wasted time and gas to figure it out.

Quick Reply: weird shake from complete stop