S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What are likely cause of oil filter coming loose?

Old 10-26-2022, 05:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What are likely cause(s) of oil filter coming loose?

Very sadly, after taking delivery of an amazing 06 AP2 (less than 13,000 miles too), the engine oil filter “popped loose” during my fun Sunday morning drive.

The selling dealership did an oil change (recorded in carfax). Prior to the incident, there was no oil leak.

The filter is Hengst so not the OEM S2000 filter. Obviously, it’s unlikely to know what truly caused it. Since the F22C is highly tuned compared to most engines, I suspect it’s one of (or combination of) the following,
1. Suboptimal oil filter (Honda likely has a good reason to have a specific S2000 filter)
2. Filter thread defect
3. Improperly torqued

Any insights from experts in this community?
Old 10-26-2022, 06:14 PM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

Under torque
Happens often enough. Some people don't know they need to torque it. Some people don't believe that torquing past hand tight is necessary because they've "never had an issue doing it by hand" or they think they're strong. Idk.

I cannot see how any human can torque an S2000 filter to spec without using a tool. That's why there's a tool. And a torque spec printed on the filter.

Why did a Honda dealer not use a Honda filter, though?

Hope your car is ok?

Old 10-26-2022, 06:41 PM

It’s not a Honda dealership (the group does have a Honda dealership though).

Luckily, oil didn’t get on the tires to cause an accident and the oil didn’t catch fire.

However, the engine is not so lucky. My shop is still evaluating the damage. To minimize downtime, assuming the cylinder head and cams are fine, I’d replace the short block and then look at whether the crankshaft and block can be used for future builds.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:54 PM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

Time to get your $ back.
Then go and get another S2000
Old 10-26-2022, 07:12 PM

It’s hard for me to believe. But the service manager has the stance of “it cannot possibly be our fault”.

I am leaning towards just focusing on getting it up and running and building a higher performance engine later (all out of my pocket).

I would have been totally fine with “we screwed up, sorry for the experience, with as-is transaction we cannot help” said nicely. It’s the horrible attitude from the service manager that’s tripping me up (I do realize It’s much better for my well being to move on and not let such behavior drag me down).
Old 10-26-2022, 07:37 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd consult an attorney on this. If they advertised that they did some kind of xxx-point inspection & whatnot and used an improper filter that wasn't installed correctly, how can they not be liable? Sucks this happened to such a low mileage car, I'd be raising hell. As to your question, probably a combination of wrong filter/wrong torque.
The following users liked this post:
JWN6264 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 07:50 PM

I probably won’t go the attorney route as these transactions are as-is, no?

The filter, while not the OEM S2000 specific one, I believe it’s listed as a compatible part. Improperly installed is tough to find evidence to support (other than the outcome of it popping loose).

I mostly plan on treating this as,
1. Taking it as life’s lesson learned.
2. Cost to learn the true behavior of the service manager
3. Sharing the information so future owners of S2000 will make sure the correct oil filter and proper service procedures are done prior to driving the car hard.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:31 PM
Jub

Received 394 Likes on 314 Posts

I had the head off and valves replaced on mine earlier this year. The shop that did it is a performance shop that I do and would recommend to others. Their main business is building amateur and pro drift cars. When I got my car back, I double checked over everything and my oil filter was only hand tight and could have backed off pretty easily. Seems to be a pretty common mechanic habit that usually never bites. There have been instances of filters backing off on these cars. The old style filters say to get the filter to make contact with the block then 7/8ths of a turn or something like that. I'd recommend buying the wrench and always checking it if someone else does a job involving the filter. Nobody cares about your car as much as you do and we're all human. No level of service manager can prevent this unless they're a micromanager of a boss and have no trust in their mechanics at all. If they have no trust in their mechanics, it's probably for good reason and I won't trust that shop at all (looking at you Jiffy Lube, etc.).

I trust (good) mechanics a lot more than service managers. Service managers are a combination of sales person and PR for the company. Unlike the title implies, they're not really there to represent you. It's kinda like how HR is there to protect the company from the employees. The service manager is there to sell you and protect the mechanic and company from you. Some service managers are good, especially at small independent shops. Some can also be snakes. I'm happy that in my last debacle, my service manager was also the mechanic working on my car and was honest and knew his stuff. He did not tighten my oil filter properly, lol.

Sucks but seems you have a pretty good attitude about it. I would try to work it out with the shop, maybe threaten legal action, but probably wouldn't be that worth going to court over. I don't know precedent in these types of cases but it may be worth paying to talk to a lawyer if the shop offers nothing.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:44 PM

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

The service Manager is a ****. The Honda S2000 is Notorious for vibrating Oil filters loose. In the first two years of the Hond S2000 it happend often that the oil Filters came loose, because the Mechanics at the dealerships simply dont cared about the instructions printed on the filters. They used the "Handthight as allways" method. Worked for Years with every Honda, but not with the S2000....
That´s why honda designed the special Oil filter for the S2000 with a higher than usual torque specification or 7/8 Turn to solve the Problem. The instructions are clearly printed on the Filter.

You could use aftermaket filters too, i do so, but most (99%) of the S2000 owners use the OM Honda Filters to be save.
If you use a aftermarket filter like the Hengst, MANN, Mahle, FRAM or what ever you really should install them carefull with the 3/4 turn Method. I am adding a 1/8 extra turn and allways struggle to remove the Oil filter the next change. It sit´s really thigter compared to the Honda Filter, thats why i use them. I dont like the Honda Gasket design... But this disscussion will open a can of worms, it´s like the "Wich oil" discussion.

The point is, that the Mechanic who changed the oil filter dont cared about the 3/4 turn instructions and simply installed the Filter "Handthight", i bet. .
You could find several Threads about the Oil filter here, with a lot of Information. You could show this to the Service Manager.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:14 PM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

I don't understand the justification they can use to say its not their fault

Didn't the oil filter that they put on come loose?

Did you like...just keep driving it after the oil light came on? Or? What are they using for justification? I don't get it....
The following users liked this post:
The King (10-27-2022)

Quick Reply: What are likely cause of oil filter coming loose?