S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

wheel hop

Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts
Default wheel hop

My car is an '06, totally stock. Whenever my rear tires are overpowered, I always get severe wheel hop. I always back off quickly of course, I am aware of the damage this can cause. But my question is if this is normal. I seem to get wheel hop way more easily than I would expect.

Let me be clear, I don't go around launching my car. I'm a 50 yo old dude. Its my DD (except when there is snow or ice on the road, though I have been caught in both, on summer tirss). I do drive the car like it was meant to be driven, but I don't go around drag racing.

But when I do take off aggressively, or there is poor traction, if the tires break loose, they hop. Doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning, it hops. If turning and the back end starts to slide, if the wheels end up spinning, they immediately hop.

I can't imagine this is normal, as I have read that some do launch their car, and that the key to this is apparently to make sure the wheels do spin to prevent the load on the diff. So if spin = hop in this car, these people couldn't be launching their car.

So I assume something isn't right. What could be wrong? Car seems to drive normally otherwise. 85K miles, I am the third owner, owned it for about a year. Last owner was older and more conservative than I. Not sure of history before that. I understand the owner before the last old guy owner had clutch replaced, if that gives any clues as to its past use.

I have replaced MC (it leaked), and fluid and bled system, and adjusted play, all as routine maintenance. Clutch seems to grab well. Have also changed diff fluid (amsoil). Old stuff seemed OK, no smells, no metal, wasn't especially dirty, seemed like the correct amount, etc.

I have not noticed any leaking diff mounts or other problems while I was under there.

Ideas?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

how hard are you launching? during autocross i launch at 6k+ and make sure to let the wheel spin and let off the gas slowly to let it catch traction but never fully off the gas. seems to work fine in my 2006 ap2 with 85k miles. pretty sure my diff is stock.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an idea dont do that anymore.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '06 and I have never experienced wheel hop Then again I never attempt to launch my S2000.

Sounds like you are driving very aggressively.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
I got an idea dont do that anymore.
not very helpful. this is a technical sub forum dedicated to help others when they experience something out of the norm so that a database can be built to further help the community.

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
I have an '06 and I have never experienced wheel hop Then again I never attempt to launch my S2000.

Sounds like you are driving very aggressively.
sometimes when the car is driven hard especially with 06+ ap2 with VSA a loss in traction in less that favorable conditions it may translate to a wheel hop. but in fact this may be due to the power being cut. Also, do you notice a flashing ! in a triangle when this happens? thats your VSA turning on. Unless you are turning that VSA off and driving spiritedly in conditions then something is def wrong.

also to add try turning off VSA and launching the car properly. not on public streets of course.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I have a '06 and never had any wheel hop. I can be going straight or having fun in a turn and not get any wheel hop. I say you have something wrong with your rear suspension, I have used five different sets of tires of different sizes and makes and never had any wheel hop. Current rear tire size are 245/45-17 Continental DW.

ROD
Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM

ok get new struts does that help?

The car in stock condition is not designed to be launched. So the "dont do that anymore" comment is legit.

please 6k dump clutch from a stop.
Trust me dont do that unless you got money to spend. Best advice going.

Just sounded to me like dude is launching the stock s2k. If you are not doing that then worn shocks/struts would cause the hop you speak of.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

what tires are you running and what are your alignment specs? How many miles are on the car?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Whenever my rear tires are overpowered, I always get severe wheel hop.

Ideas?
Rear shocks are worn out. That'd be my guess.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1386267950' post='22908943
Whenever my rear tires are overpowered, I always get severe wheel hop.

Ideas?
Rear shocks are worn out. That'd be my guess.
I agree

Quick Reply: wheel hop