S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

When did your S2000 die?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When did your S2000 die?

When I say die, I mean something requiring internal engine repair (lifter/piston/spun bearing, ect.)

Internal transmission problems (not counting clutch swaps or hydraulics)

Rear end problems (something necessitating a new diff or ring/pinion (not just a wheel bearing).

List what went wrong as well.

I am trying to compare how reliable these really are in major mechanical areas. This is in response to the whole "domestics are unreliable" type attitude I encounter a lot. This thread is NOT! here to devolve into a "import vs. domestic" dispute. It is here to tabulate any serious problems any S owners have had.
I would really like to be able to add a poll as well but since this does not appear to be an option, please list the mileage and a short description of what went wrong.

I realise at one point there was a bit of bad blood between www.S2kca.com and this site. HOWEVER, if you are on S2KCA.com as well as this site, here is a link. They have a poll option.

http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=13747
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

74K Problem: I came across a punk in a WS6 and spanked him...whats the problem? I wasted my gas
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM

2003, 32k mi, still alive.

:crossing fingers:
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 AM

2005 27k mi. Only problem is when I break the sound barrier and the car doesn't come with ear plugs.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 AM

this guy is asking a serious question.. i am also interested.. lets keep it relevant to the topic please.. thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 AM

The BIGGEST PROBLEM with the s2k is that honda basicly took a drive train(from tranny back) almost identical to a miata slapped another 100hp into the mix and expected it to last. It didnt. Thats why there were all the upgrades in 04. I personally dont know anyone who wasnt FI(NO2 included) that has had engine problems(aside from the spark plug issue). I have well over 100K and have replaced a tranny(91K), two ap1 rear diff's(one @ 80K dealer fault they serviced it and didnt fill it back up, the other at 90K my fault due to inexperince launching the car), and im about to have to put a new drive shaft in it(just defective i guess).

You are trying to single out a specfic car, go drive any 10-15 year old Honda/Toyota car vs any domestic car of the same type and you will easily see how that debate got started. Im not a band wagon type person, I drive what i do because ive worked on and driven just about every make model and year of automobile thats avalible in the U.S. From a festia to a Ferrari. The debate doesnt just include the mechanical part of the car, but every aspect of the car. The interior(seats, headliner,dash) of the 94+ camero completely falls apart. Mechanicaly they are pretty sound. But to me that means that the 90 honda accord i own, that is still pristene on the inside even though i never really took care of it, last longer than a camero since nether have ever had mechanical problems.

Its just fact, even resale value reflects that. Sold my wifes 97 grand prix gt w/70K for 3500 after 6 months of lowering the price. Sold her 93 prelude with 200K on the odo and a rebuilt title for 5K the day it posted in the AutoTrader.

Sorry for the book.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM

def some funny responses but like S2Kabob said the OP ask a question in a serious manner so lets get some serious answers to him. I have about 40k on my S right now and the only problem and had was with the window regulator at 30k which was a recall part.

I know you said just mechanical that is the only problem I have had with my S. Plus even though I baby my car I enjoy my car (I don't abuse the shit out of it or rape it) but I do hit 9k every so often. Hope that helps.

Plus nice trans am .

Mike
Old 02-28-2007, 11:02 AM

I believe the general consensus is that the S2000 provides outstanding reliability and mechanical build. Above and beyond regular scheduled maintenance, the Honda S2000 needs little more to keep it running trouble free for many years. I have 13,000 miles on mine without a problem.

Roger
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 AM

121,XXX miles on my car and the only time it died was when the battery was dead. Other than that no problems so far. Just keep up with maintenance.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

i got 80k and running strong with i/h/e/vafc

It will easily go over 150k (plus i plan on rebuilding it at 100k) so whatever goes wrong aside from the engine will probably be the clutch, and trim pieces...

Quick Reply: When did your S2000 die?