S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

When did your S2000 die?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAP1S2K,Feb 28 2007, 11:38 AM
The BIGGEST PROBLEM with the s2k is that honda basicly took a drive train(from tranny back) almost identical to a miata slapped another 100hp into the mix and expected it to last. It didnt. Thats why there were all the upgrades in 04. I personally dont know anyone who wasnt FI(NO2 included) that has had engine problems(aside from the spark plug issue). I have well over 100K and have replaced a tranny(91K), two ap1 rear diff's(one @ 80K dealer fault they serviced it and didnt fill it back up, the other at 90K my fault due to inexperince launching the car), and im about to have to put a new drive shaft in it(just defective i guess).

You are trying to single out a specfic car, go drive any 10-15 year old Honda/Toyota car vs any domestic car of the same type and you will easily see how that debate got started. Im not a band wagon type person, I drive what i do because ive worked on and driven just about every make model and year of automobile thats avalible in the U.S. From a festia to a Ferrari. The debate doesnt just include the mechanical part of the car, but every aspect of the car. The interior(seats, headliner,dash) of the 94+ camero completely falls apart. Mechanicaly they are pretty sound. But to me that means that the 90 honda accord i own, that is still pristene on the inside even though i never really took care of it, last longer than a camero since nether have ever had mechanical problems.

Its just fact, even resale value reflects that. Sold my wifes 97 grand prix gt w/70K for 3500 after 6 months of lowering the price. Sold her 93 prelude with 200K on the odo and a rebuilt title for 5K the day it posted in the AutoTrader.

Sorry for the book.
You don't skip gears right? Cause that causes failure. :-D

Looks like the only failure you had was the tranny and a fatigued d-shaft.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i got 84k on mine. Drive it hard about 35% of the time, and very gentle the rest...Never had a problem. Just the traditional annoying seat belt and steering wheel rattle.

I even have the stock soft top still with no tears. I am probably going to rebuild the motor when i go FI as well as replace the clutch and Rear.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

MY00 - 129000 km.

@ 85000 km (or so).
Left rear wheel bearing (replaced under dealer warranty)
Probably because the axle nut torque wasn't updated by previous owner / dealer.

@ 128000 km.
The right exhaust damper broke loose from the piping, well.. almost.
It was welded and is fine now.
It may have caused the next thing because of the vibration it generated in the exhaust.

@129000 km
Rattle in the cat, the core is loose.
I'm thinking about what to do.
I think I have a way to fix the core in postition but I don't have acces to a TIG welder at the moment.
I also have to find out IF there is any kind of warranty on the cat overhere in the Netherlands.

Thats it.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
abv

74k supercharged for at least 2 years bunch o boost for a yearish no probs
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM

~45k: busted diff, most likely my fault...bought the car at 37.5k miles and i had been downshifting (and then going faster) incorrectly.

~58k: when i drove through a foot or two of standing water w/an aem v2. only had to change the spark plugs, but again...my fault.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM

Still under 60,000 miles; Supercharged, gears, lots of hard driving.
Zero problems.
AP1's are not unreliable if given reasonable treatment. Statements to the contrary are simply sour grapes (apparently a common problem for some AP2 owners ).
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM

I realise at one point there was a bit of bad blood between www.S2kca.com and this site. HOWEVER, if you are on S2KCA.com as well as this site, here is a link. They have a poll option.

http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=13747
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my previous 2001 S2k. Drove it to 85,000 miles in 3 years or so and had the transmission rebuilt under warranty due to a second gear grind which more more of an annoyance than anything. The car saw several autoX sessions and a track day at streets of willow and laguna seca with nary a hiccup. In short, I beat the crap out of the car and it just kept running with no out of pocket expense in unscheduled repairs to me.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Feb 28 2007, 03:20 PM
MY00 - 129000 km.

@ 85000 km (or so).
Left rear wheel bearing (replaced under dealer warranty)
Probably because the axle nut torque wasn't updated by previous owner / dealer.

@ 128000 km.
The right exhaust damper broke loose from the piping, well.. almost.
It was welded and is fine now.
It may have caused the next thing because of the vibration it generated in the exhaust.

@129000 km
Rattle in the cat, the core is loose.
I'm thinking about what to do.
I think I have a way to fix the core in postition but I don't have acces to a TIG welder at the moment.
I also have to find out IF there is any kind of warranty on the cat overhere in the Netherlands.

Thats it.
SpitfireS, how come you haven't broken that fragile Miata driveline yet?
Do you get as sick of that BS as I do?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RedAP1S2K,Feb 28 2007, 11:38 AM
The BIGGEST PROBLEM with the s2k is that honda basicly took a drive train(from tranny back) almost identical to a miata slapped another 100hp into the mix and expected it to last. It didnt. Thats why there were all the upgrades in 04. I personally dont know anyone who wasnt FI(NO2 included) that has had engine problems(aside from the spark plug issue). I have well over 100K and have replaced a tranny(91K), two ap1 rear diff's(one @ 80K dealer fault they serviced it and didnt fill it back up, the other at 90K my fault due to inexperince launching the car), and im about to have to put a new drive shaft in it(just defective i guess).

You are trying to single out a specfic car, go drive any 10-15 year old Honda/Toyota car vs any domestic car of the same type and you will easily see how that debate got started. Im not a band wagon type person, I drive what i do because ive worked on and driven just about every make model and year of automobile thats avalible in the U.S. From a festia to a Ferrari. The debate doesnt just include the mechanical part of the car, but every aspect of the car. The interior(seats, headliner,dash) of the 94+ camero completely falls apart. Mechanicaly they are pretty sound. But to me that means that the 90 honda accord i own, that is still pristene on the inside even though i never really took care of it, last longer than a camero since nether have ever had mechanical problems.

Its just fact, even resale value reflects that. Sold my wifes 97 grand prix gt w/70K for 3500 after 6 months of lowering the price. Sold her 93 prelude with 200K on the odo and a rebuilt title for 5K the day it posted in the AutoTrader.

Sorry for the book.
I have owned 2 F-bodies 94+ and one was a 95 with 170K miles on it. Both were IMMACULATE inside and out.

Quick Reply: When did your S2000 die?