S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

When to replace brake lines

Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default When to replace brake lines

Just wanted to see what the general sentiment is with brake lines. Car is approaching 13 years+ since date of manufacture. Upon visual inspection lines look to be in great shape so according to Honda maintenance schedule this is acceptable from what I understand. Thoughts?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The big thing with brake lines is the rigidity of the rubber. If it hasn't gone extremely soft/squishy (in which you won't get as effective of fluid transfer) and there are no cracks, etc. then they're probably fine. You may notice more responsive brakes by replacing them, but then again you may not. Mine is an 01 with 102K miles on the body and all of it's original brake lines. I plan on swapping all of mine out sometime this year as more of a preventative thing than anything.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The MY02 lines looked great on my car when I removed them 2 years ago. I only replaced them due to the high value I place on brakes to be error-free when driving on track. I've seen too many cars and people hurt or killed from brake line failure on track.

If they look OK, they probably are OK.

-Mike
Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They should not need replacement. The exterior just shields the interior line that holds the pressure.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No certain time unless one should burst.

I replaced mine when I upgraded the rotors to slots.Also replaced the pads with Hawk HPS & Goodridge SS lines.Good time to add the speed bleeders too!

\rlr
Carolina
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

That's an excellent question, while I remember SpitfireS having a surprise with the condition of his brake lines. I would expect non-winter driven vehicles to be in relatively good shape though, like many S2K owners in our area. I know mine appear to be excellent, but they were rust-proofed using the delear stuff years ago. I did replace my rubber lines with SS ones for want of a harder brake pedal, so I am good in that respect. I think the main thing is to bleed your brake system every 2 years, as the lines will rust internally from moisture in the system if they are left with old fluid for many years.

One thing I've always wondered is if our fuel tanks rust out, I see many fuel tanks rust out on other vehicles but they seem rare on the S2000. I wonder if we have higher quality fuel tanks compared to other vehicles. They wouldn't be stainless would they ?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

After cleaning the rubber they looked like new.
Sure, the metal parts were rusted but the rubber was in very good shape after 12 years of DD in all kinds of weather.
I did replace them with HEL lines, and they made the brakes feel better (I think)

I have no doubts the old OEM's would have lived for another 12 years.
Like JFUSION mentioned: fresh fluid and good pads is al you need.

If you want something to worrie about: inspect the metal brake lines.
And the fuel lines.
They rust!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I replaced mine with Challenge stainless braided lines that have the clear coating about half a year ago on MY02. My old lines still looked great but only did it for preventative maintenance since the car sees an occasional track day. The last thing I want to think about is my old lines bursting off a 100mph straight.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
That's an excellent question, while I remember SpitfireS having a surprise with the condition of his brake lines. I would expect non-winter driven vehicles to be in relatively good shape though, like many S2K owners in our area. I know mine appear to be excellent, but they were rust-proofed using the delear stuff years ago. I did replace my rubber lines with SS ones for want of a harder brake pedal, so I am good in that respect. I think the main thing is to bleed your brake system every 2 years, as the lines will rust internally from moisture in the system if they are left with old fluid for many years.

One thing I've always wondered is if our fuel tanks rust out, I see many fuel tanks rust out on other vehicles but they seem rare on the S2000. I wonder if we have higher quality fuel tanks compared to other vehicles. They wouldn't be stainless would they ?
What part of a fuel tank itself is metal?

OP- if in doubt, get some SS lines that are rubber coated. For me, 15 years would probably be the mark if you were tracking the car. Otherwise, keep in mind a lot of 20 year old cars on the road have original lines.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1363717871' post='22413823

What part of a fuel tank itself is metal?
I don't know as I've never seen it up close. But I thought they were still making fuel tanks out of metal in 2002. The fuel tank has a protective cover underneath made of plastic, but I thought it is just a protective cover I believe. These guys seemed to think it was made of metal too.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/823...#entry19671011

Quick Reply: When to replace brake lines