S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where to install the AEM bypass valve?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to install the AEM bypass valve?

I was looking for some advice on as to where people have installed their bypass valve. I ran a search but I could find nothing on location or better yet pics!

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Google

[QUOTE= [url]www.aempower.com]Generally[/url], the Air Bypass Valve installs along the upper section of the induction pipe, close to the throttle body. Do NOT install it too close to the Inlet Air Temp sensor, and NEVER install an air bypass valve in between a throttle body and Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). Be sure to check for clearance for the width of the Air Bypass Valve during installation, and to use the provided template that comes with your Air Bypass Valve to remove the proper amount of material from the induction pipe.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Between the two pipes, duh...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM

dont install it at all.

daves trick #10298:
when you see a huge flood coming, STOP. pull over and disconnect the intake at the throttle body. now plow through the flood (your s2k makes a cool looking drag boat) and then on the other side, reconnect your intake at the TB.
i learned this trick recently as i got caught in a flood, not like an over the cab carry you away flood, i mean 6-12 inches of standing water. i cruised through 3 vegas intersections like that, and was on my marry way.
much better than ruining a good intake with that joke of a foam valve.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=S2oooNvegas,Oct 16 2007, 09:09 PM] dont install it at all.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 AM

I reiterate, don't use it. I don't know if you're using the V2, but you know now that you can't use the bypass with it. SIIK2NR said it best that you're either aimed at performance or hydrolock avoidance. Just avoid standing water, it's not that hard. If you're really concerned, go with a stock airbox and snorkel.

If you're seriously concerned about this, fabricate some sort of small piping and air filter that you keep in the trunk and can connect quickly in a pinch (short-ram style) so you don't have to reconnect a CAI that may have water sitting in it, until you can confirm it's dry and reinstall.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the tips guys! BTW I have the Original AEM CAI not the V2. I think I might just take the CAI out for the winter and put the stock air box back in. I hope I can return the bypass valve (when it comes in that is). Hey, out of curiosity is the dry air filter, which is the one I have, more susceptible to water as opposed to the oil air filter?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 AM

The AEM bypass valve is not merely foam. There is a rubber bladder inside that blocks all air entry until the pressure inside the valve drops to a critical point. At that point the rubber bladder inverts, and allows air to enter the intake through the foam. Unless the intake side of the V1 is blocked, no air comes in through the foam, so the cold air aspect of the intake is not affected. The effect on pipe tuning is also minimal.

Also, the valves DO work. I've seen an intake plunged into a bucket of water, and with the bypass valve in place, the bladder flips and there is no way for the water to be pulled up the intake.

Both a bypass valve (AEM, not the cheap look-a-likes, which usually ARE just foam filters) and a cover for the filter are worthwhile mods for the V1. The V2 can't hydrolock (according to AEM), so the bypass valve would be a waste even if it would fit, and AEM does not recommend it. Putting a cover over the V2 filter is still a good idea though.

Having run a V1 for a couple years, and having taken apart a bypass valve I managed to break, I know how the things work, and would strongly advise against running a V1 without the valve. The idea that they're just a foam filter is totally wrong.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by LuDawg,Oct 17 2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! BTW I have the Original AEM CAI not the V2. I think I might just take the CAI out for the winter and put the stock air box back in. I hope I can return the bypass valve (when it comes in that is). Hey, out of curiosity is the dry air filter, which is the one I have, more susceptible to water as opposed to the oil air filter?
I'm not familiar with the "dry air filter," but if it's a typical paper element type it won't take to water any better than the foam/oil type. You might want to consider making or buying a cover for the top of the filter, to keep rain water from dripping down on it from the hood's drain holes (one of them is directly above the filter). You can make a cover from an plastic milk jug, sheet metal, or even buy one at some auto parts stores (I think I've even seen them at Pep Boys).

As much as I like having FI, I still miss the sweet sound of my old V1.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM

I'm sure you're right Red, but is that really going to be effective in any situation other than completely submergence?

If water gets in but it isn't enough to create the appropriate resistance needed to direct the air in from elsewhere, then you're still going to get water in the engine and go kaboom, are you not?

Me thinks so.

Quick Reply: Where to install the AEM bypass valve?