S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Why no daytime running lights on S2k?

Old 09-21-2004, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no daytime running lights on S2k?

Is there any good reason not to have daytime running lights on any car? Even one with HIDs? I was used to my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Lights on all the time. In 6 1/2 years no one ever pulled out in front of that car (it being bright red as well). I also never burned out a headlight, running light, or fog light. This was my only car at the time and I put 80k miles on it.

Now that I am driving a Silverstone S2K, I would really like the visibility of the headlights on all the time. This car is much smaller, with a less visible color. Is there any technical reason to not turn on the lights whenever I drive?

Only things I can think of are...
- More wear on the alternator
- insignificantly less milage
- insignificantly less horsepower
- would have to replace the HIDs more often.

Most annoying thing now it having to turn them on and off.

Honda should have a kit for daytime running lights, I would "buy that for a dollar".
Old 09-21-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i can't believe i'm reading this!
i just performed the fix to manaully turn the a/c on with the defroster. i don't like anything that happens automatically without my doing so. would you like windshield wipers to come on automatically if it is raining. do you like skip shift on the gm v8's? do you wish they had an automatic offered in the s2k? not enough intermittent settings for you?
just read the hundreds of postings on other sites of how they can disable these automatic features. i like the power top but having to keep the brake on and 0mph drives me nuts...i want to decide if it's safe not the computer. and i don't want cruise control that senses traffic either.
i never understood the point of the daytime running lights...it annoys me being in front of a car with their headlights on in the daytime. if you want your headlights on then just turn them on. are you worried about forgetting to turn them off?
i'm not trying to bust on you but please understand there are a plethera of drivers out there that still like to control all aspects of their car and not have the decisions made for them.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 281 Likes on 141 Posts

The car's wired for DRLs, since Canadian models come standard with them. There's probably a DIY/retrofit thread somewhere if you do a search.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, Canadian cars come with DRLs. However, it may be very expensive to retrofit a US car for this in the Honda OEM way. Contact PLYRS 3 about this. He bought a US car, had it converted before he could bring it into Canada. He had it done at Ganley Honda in Ohio (Hardtopguy). You could also contact them.
If you must do this, it might be much cheaper to get an aftermarket DRL module for about 50 bucks. Do a Google search for Daytime Runninng Light Module.
If you didn't know, OEM DRLs use the highbeams (not the HIDs) at a reduced power output, so it's not the same as turning on your headlights.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Former Moderator

Plyrs 3 used an aftermarket unit for the DRL's it was for the most part fairly cheap

and sodaking, are you serious? that was quite the diatribe on control, but the fact remains, DRL's increase the visability of a car, and thus increase safety. Why its not implemented world wide boggles my mind.

Hey, if you decide to run with out your lights, or put your top down at 30 mph, more power to ya, I'll laugh my ass off, but hey, you're making the decisions, down with the man and all
Old 09-21-2004, 06:53 PM

Why no daytime running lights on S2k?

Because it is not legally required in the US. I'm not saying they should be, I don't think they should mandated. Same for why no passenger airbag disable switch. It's not too hard to turn on the running lights if you so desire.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:58 PM

don't worry about the HID's running out/ going bad they are supposedly good for well over 350,000 miles. I heard of the lifetime in hours as well but can't remember correctly.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Former Moderator

Typical Metal Halide HID Lamps last about 40k hours, Not sure how it relates to cars, but should be similar
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mindcore,Sep 21 2004, 07:44 PM
Plyrs 3 used an aftermarket unit for the DRL's it was for the most part fairly cheap

and sodaking, are you serious? that was quite the diatribe on control, but the fact remains, DRL's increase the visability of a car, and thus increase safety. Why its not implemented world wide boggles my mind.

Hey, if you decide to run with out your lights, or put your top down at 30 mph, more power to ya, I'll laugh my ass off, but hey, you're making the decisions, down with the man and all
GM tried it here for many years. They might still have them on their cars in one form or another but I don't think so. If they were indeed as successful as their proponents claim then they'd be using them in EU where they're incredibly safety conscious when it comes to automobiles.

Truth is, Canadians can't drive so they need cars to run around with their lights on.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

Nice

Quick Reply: Why no daytime running lights on S2k?