S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Will race fuel help power/tq in stock s2000?

Old 04-08-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Apr 8 2006, 05:34 PM
Firstly, watch the personal attacks.

Secondly, the term "wanker" is usually used to refer to people making grandiose claims or talking authoritively on subjects about which they have no knowledge. Considering that "throttle response" in it's truest and most literal form relates to the efficiency of the intake tract and throttle actuation and has absolutely nothing at all to do the octane level of fuel I'd say it is more applicable to you.

If all you have to add around here is misinformation and insults perhaps you might consider shutting the hell up. <- makes everything alright doesn't it.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Whoa, that little fight started way to easily =)
Anyway i was told by someone on here that (has a new S2K) with the higher octane stuff the ECU would be able to readjust itself on the fly kinda like a turbo car would IE: a Subaru WRX.
Since adding octane only makes it harder to fire the mixture I'm guessing our ECU's won't really bump up or retard the timing to any significant degree.
I guess i was just fishing for quick horspower OOPs..
Old 04-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Apr 8 2006, 10:44 PM
That's all you got?
Sure, but I don't feel much need to prove anything to you. And most know that people tend to refer to throttle response as how well the engine responds to throttle input and reaction. You're knit picking.

I said something might happen, you decided to attack that statement. I have no proof it will, you have no proof it won't. Hence the word "might" in my statement. You "might" have had a case if I said "it will" but I didn't. Therefore you just felt the urge to be a jerk.

I called you wanker with a . It was meant as a light hearted response to your heavy handed (if silly) attempt at attacking my statement.

Too which you AGAIN overreacted. Its organizers like you who make me seriously reconsider whether I should re-up my membership. THEN I remember there are people like Xviper and Wisconsin who give damn good advice on here, while a bit abrasive about it sometimes who make the site worth reading.

Its pretty funny that you attacked my statement, yet you have no proof to backup yours.

But keep the comments coming, I enjoy a good laugh as much as the next guy. I learned a long time ago not to get offended by random people on a message board. Mainly because I don't care what you think of me one way or the other. I will happily argue with you all day though! Its fun.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jon3501447,Apr 8 2006, 11:12 PM] Whoa, that little fight started way to easily =)
Anyway i was told by someone on here that (has a new S2K) with the higher octane stuff the ECU would be able to readjust itself on the fly kinda like a turbo car would IE: a Subaru WRX.
Since adding octane only makes it harder to fire the mixture I'm guessing our ECU's won't really bump up or retard the timing to any significant degree.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Getting back to the original question, Xviper is right, you most likely won't get any more horsepower . However you may have slightly quicker throttle response. This is because most race gasoline is a "Summer " mix and may atomize (mix) better than "regular " premium fuel. When auto-xing an '89 Civic some years ago I invariably had better results w/ race fuel. I spoke to an engineer from Unocal with this observation and he told me that Unocal's 100 octane fuel was a "summer" blend and should give better throttle response. How much better is directly related to what your baseline fuel is so YMMV as they say.
As a side note my best results seemed to come with a 50/50 mix of regular 87/race 100 fuels. My fuel engineer explained that regular fuel actually has a slightly higher B.T.U. value (more power???) and the race fuel aided vaporization (better throttle response???). Keep in mind that the Civic only required regular to begin with and I don't know if a 50/50 mix premium/race would yield any benefits in a s2k. Good luck at your track day.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Look, I think we're all pretty much in agreement here that higher octane does nothing for performance in a stock S2000. However it will actually stop you loosing performance in adverse conditions (hot weather for example) as the ECU pulls timing if it see detonation.

That said, I made a light hearted sarcastic response to your unqualified suggestion and you called me a wanker (with a smiley). Maybe you think sarcastic COs are the problem around here but I'd suggest one of the biggest problems is people putting forward misinformation, followed by people referencing it as fact ("I read somewhere that race fuel gives better throttle response"). When they follow up with abuse surely that's conclusive.

As for proof, the burden is on the person suggesting the claim, not the one refuting it.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MarchHare,Apr 9 2006, 01:41 PM
When auto-xing an '89 Civic some years ago...
Was that a twin carb 1.5L? That's a very different set up to a direct port fuel injected engine.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:58 PM

I think so far all we have are opinions on this matter, the only close thing to proof would be the gentlemen who was talking about his autocrossing days. I think you could try it, In my opinion if you do get any extra power you wont notice because it will be so little. I could see the throttle response thing in theory, but then in my opinion it also wouldnt be enough to actually notice.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 PM

nope, if you had turbo...and wanna raise the boost to something crazy....
Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Apr 8 2006, 08:42 PM
Look, I think we're all pretty much in agreement here that higher octane does nothing for performance in a stock S2000.

Higher octane will do nothing for a stock S2000. On the other hand, with higher compression, and or advanced timing through a programmable ECU, higher octane may yield some benefits.

That said, I made a light hearted sarcastic response
stitos2k made a light hearted sarcastic response as well.

I'd suggest one of the biggest problems is people putting forward misinformation
stitos2k said "might"

As for proof, the burden is on the person suggesting the claim, not the one refuting it.
This goes both ways.

Quick Reply: Will race fuel help power/tq in stock s2000?