S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

won’t go into gear when on...

Old 09-03-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won’t go into gear when on...

Okay so here’s what happened, I’m going home after a meet driving normally and when I came to a light , I heard some grinding noise from the car even when I was in neutral , I knew something was up right away so I decided to drive slowly home (was about two streets away when I heard it) and I came to a 2nd light and the car just shuts off and clutch pedal goes to the floor, so while on it wouldn’t go into gear so I put it in gear when it was off and started it like that and drove home in one gear, when I got home I pulled the clutch pedal up and now the clutch pedal won’t go down all the way lol

I had a buddy saying pressure plate ? I’ve tried reading about it on the forums , a lot of other people came up with seized throwout bearing ? And then I’ve also read loose flywheel

any ideas ?
Old 09-03-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi CT-S2K, here are a few things to check. First thing I would check, does the car shift into gear with the vehicle off? If it shifts into gear with the vehicle off, 9 of 10 times the transmission is good and the problem lies in the clutch hydraulics or clutch components. Second thing I would check is clutch hydraulics reservoir. The clutch hydraulics reservoir is located in the top right corner of the engine bay when standing over the radiator. If the reservoir is low or empty, you have a leak in the clutch master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder. Its best to replace both at the same time, bleed system and recheck. If the reservoir is full of fluid, you have broken clutch components.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Based on your description, my guess is your clutch disk dripped a spring, and its now jamming things up. That is about tbe only thing that could cause all tbe symptoms you observed.

If this is the issue, fix is drop trans and replace clutch. Don't use aftermarket disk, as that is what likely caused issue in the first place. They always fail prematurely (before disk material is worn), and it's always by dropping a spring.

Use only a Honda disk. DO NOT use the so called Exedy oem (its not oem and it drops springs just like all the other aftermarket stuff.

BTW, I am in CT. Assuming you are as well based on username. I would be happy to swing by and take a look. PM me what town you are in.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Manualgearbox
Hi CT-S2K, here are a few things to check. First thing I would check, does the car shift into gear with the vehicle off? If it shifts into gear with the vehicle off, 9 of 10 times the transmission is good and the problem lies in the clutch hydraulics or clutch components. Second thing I would check is clutch hydraulics reservoir. The clutch hydraulics reservoir is located in the top right corner of the engine bay when standing over the radiator. If the reservoir is low or empty, you have a leak in the clutch master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder. Its best to replace both at the same time, bleed system and recheck. If the reservoir is full of fluid, you have broken clutch components.

Hope this helps!

Jay

I will check that out thank you for the reply
Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

*Most likely a throwout bearing and/or clutch disk issue.

Could also be a thrust bearing issue - check the oil for metal flakes. Has the car been run low on oil?

I am guessing this is some aftermarket clutch kit...what kind is it? If its a HD or racing clutch, I'm hoping you've installed a clutch interlock bypass and have paid attention to only push the clutch to shift (not holding it down at stop lights)?

Anyway, if its a clutch, as everyone will strongly recommend...buy all the components from a Honda dealer. Bernardiparts or similar online dealers offer discounts rather than using dealership parts counter pricing.

As always, I wouldn't do it without buying everything at least everything on this list from a Honda dealer.
  • Pressure plate
  • Disc
  • Release bearing
  • Release bearing guide sleeve
  • Pilot bearing
  • High temp Urea grease

Semi-optional additional dealership sourced items would be:
  • Shifter bushings (both).
  • rear main seal
  • input shaft seal

Last edited by B serious; 09-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 800 Posts

Sounds like the clutch fork PIVOT broke off. All the signs are there (grinding noise, PP sawing through the fork) and lost ability to press pedal to floor (slave is pinning the fork)

This can happen from driving an S2000 with a worn clutch for extended periods (trying get the life out it, causes fork to go over-fulcrum)

It may be possible to replace without pulling the transmission.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Based on your description, my guess is your clutch disk dripped a spring, and its now jamming things up. That is about tbe only thing that could cause all tbe symptoms you observed.

If this is the issue, fix is drop trans and replace clutch. Don't use aftermarket disk, as that is what likely caused issue in the first place. They always fail prematurely (before disk material is worn), and it's always by dropping a spring.

Use only a Honda disk. DO NOT use the so called Exedy oem (its not oem and it drops springs just like all the other aftermarket stuff.

BTW, I am in CT. Assuming you are as well based on username. I would be happy to swing by and take a look. PM me what town you are in.
Yeah it was a like a grinding and rubbing noise from the clutch area , I had the competition stage 2 clutch as I was supercharged , I do live in Wethersfield ct ; but won’t be back home till the weekend as I’m a truck driver
Old 09-03-2019, 08:15 AM

Aftermarket clutch almost always means either a failed disc or failed bearing.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Aftermarket clutch almost always means either a failed disc or failed bearing.
Thats what I’m thinking but just wanted to double check with what everyone else thinks , I already put in a order for a whole new clutch kit and new fly wheel
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by CT-S2K
Thats what I’m thinking but just wanted to double check with what everyone else thinks , I already put in a order for a whole new clutch kit and new fly wheel
A honda kit, I hope? Or another YOLO kit?

Quick Reply: won’t go into gear when on...