S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The 2010 Winter Olympics

Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 2010 Winter Olympics

I'm surprised there has not been a thread about the 2010 Winter Olympics already. It seems this Winter Olympics is very very low key, not getting a lot of attention in the US at all. There is very little mention in the news, in our local paper, in national weekly publications, in national TV, and so on.

I was watching the NBC coverage of the opening ceremony last night and I was very disappointed. We live in the West Coast, the same time-zone as Vancouver. NBC chose to TAPE-DELAY the broadcast of the opening ceremony by 2 hours!!! By the time the cauldron was lit, it was midnight our time. For goodness sakes, why didn't they broadcast the whole thing LIVE??? It would still be prime time in the West Coast, except it would be 2 hours earlier. For those who watched it in the East Coast, was it broadcast LIVE???

I thought the Canadians did a very good job with the ceremony, considering that they followed the Chinese Summer Olympics in 2008. There was only one minor glitch at the end with the lighting of the cauldron. But by then I was already 3/4 asleep and I didn't really care.

I can tell I won't like the way NBC is handling this Olympic.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I love the sports but hate the formula that has evolved for covering it.

Well john that was quite a performance, let's go find out about what color diapers he used as an infant and what preschool he went to.
20 minutes later....

we're back to find out if he won the medal... let's go talk with Sheila at the venue and find out how they built it in this special feature....

they never let the drama of the competition develop of it's own accord.
they think they have this obligation to "add value".

Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Being that we are on the move for the next month, we likely will not see a lot of it live. Hopefully, key events and outstanding performances will be summarized later on each day. I enjoy watching it. Our hosting neighbors to the North, did a fine job opening the games last night.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

We never watch the kick-off or ending stuff... too drawn out.

In my house, your's may be different, we never can agree on what sport we want to watch. As I'm typing this she is watching ice skating. Not for me. Same with the earlier mogul stuff.....knees up and down, knees up and down, knees up and down; it drives me crazy but she had to watch it. Nice to see a Canadian won the gold; first on home soil but that's all I could take.

Hockey starts Tue at 3 PM, now that's different.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Feb 13 2010, 08:57 AM
I love the sports but hate the formula that has evolved for covering it.
This is why I quit watching Olympic coverage back in the 90s. Now that I have a DVR I'm watching again, but fast forwarding through the fluff.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like hockey and speed skating but the rest is crap
Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 AM

Received 435 Likes on 313 Posts

The only time I am watching Olympics is when I am on treadmill. I'll pick the one with the Olympics channel if one is available.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 AM

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Watched the speed skating. Ono(?) getting the silver. That was some really good competition, with two going down so USA got 2nd and 3rd.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm waiting for the downhill skiing. I like slalom, too, though.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I that mogul stuff, WOW do you know what kind of conditioning those guys go thru to be able to do that! Amazing!

The snowboard cross should be great! Seth Wescott defending Olympic champion and also from up the road in Farmington Maine and also attended Carrabassett Valley Academy The school of Olympians.

And speedskating

Ski jumping big

Any snowboard stuff

Downhill Bode Miller went to Carrabassett Valley Academy again just up the road and we all know who Bode Miller is right

Bobsled + Luge A girl from just up the road Im going to watch in ladies luge. Julia Clukey One of the worlds best and favored for the gold and she is from Augusta Maine

Biathlon, a little known but extremely challenging sport! Tim Burke trained up in fort Kent Maine at the The Maine Winter Sports Center he is from New York also lives and trains at The Maine Winter Sports Center heck almost the entire team has lived and trained here.

Jeremy Teela,Laura Specto, Lanny Barnes,Lowell Bailey

and I will certainly be watching Haley Johnson
Johnson grew up in Lake Placid, N.Y., and attended Bates College in Lewiston which is less than amile from me for two years before heading to Fort Kent and the MWSC in order to focus on biathlon training.

Ben Koons, nordic skiing he is from New Zealand and will compete for them but has lived here in Maine since he was in High School he also trains at The Maine Winter Sports Center.

The traditional old stuff ice skating, ice dancing etc

So yep call me a fan I watching the winter Olympics now if we could just get some snow here to make it feel like winter

Quick Reply: The 2010 Winter Olympics