S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

9/11 Remembered

Old 09-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Old 09-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

I was in the Ft Lauderdale Armory at a trade show. Many of the reps were from NYC. I went out to our van for a break and turned on the TV. I saw it happen, went in and told my friends. The show broke up, we left for home wondering if there were going to be more attacks. Unforgettable. I knew 2 people who lost love ones.

fltsfshr
Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,590 Posts

After the first plane hit I ran to Radio Shack to get an antenna for our work TV. As I was standing there waiting to be rung up the second plane hit. The person in front of me turned white as a ghost and said his brother worked in the second tower. He left the store without his purchase or his change.

On the very quick drive back to work I noted to myself that the streets were empty. Very strange feeling!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

We were in Turkey on the way to the airport to fly home. Got as far as London, where we spent 4 days waiting.

Years ago I met a blind man who was working in one of the Towers. He and his guide dog got out safely.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Watched the TV in my office on Capitol Hill. We were hearing a plane was headed for the Capitol. Then we all bailed. No way I was getting on the subway. Walked home five miles in not very comfortable shoes. Mass gridlock and cell phones did not work. As I went past the Willard Hotel on 14th St saw my cousin from AZ walking down the sidewalk with his wife. He was staying there and I did not know it. Crazy coincidence. Used their room phone to call my parents and let them know I was OK. They had to shelter in the basement, so I kept going. A German news crew stopped me on Constitution Ave and chatted for a bit. Maybe I made German TV - who knows. Went across the Roosevelt Bridge and saw all the smoke from the Pentagon. Could see the side where the plane hit from my balcony. Flames burned on the roof for quite awhile. Spent the next year observing the rebuilding. Truly a surreal experience.

Last edited by MsPerky; 09-12-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

And of course no commercial planes flew in and out of National Airport for three weeks. Lots of helicopters flew around the Pentagon. It was strange.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 3,481 Likes on 2,503 Posts

I visited NYC after the event and prior to any re-building efforts. I have to say that St. Paul's Chapel was one of the most spiritual places I've ever visited. I had a lump in my throat the entire time I was there seeing the pictures of the victims. The shoes hanging on the fence were very sad reminders of those who did not make it home that day, first responders who ran into harm's way but did not make it back to collect their civilian clothes. For anyone who has never been there, make a point of visiting St. Paul's Chapel, I bought their book. The chapel didn't even have a broken window during the event, despite being across the street from all of the destruction (or so the story goes).
Old 09-13-2019, 05:41 AM

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,468 Posts

We were at our startup when one of the guys came in and said he heard a plane hit one of the world trade towers.
We tried to get info on the web but couldn't get to CNN or any of the major news sites online. That was when we realized something was up.
Someone produced a little portable radio and we all gathered around. We then heard that the second tower had been hit as well.
It was around 9:30 when we all migrated to the small bar in the holiday next to our offices.
We watched the towers come down from there on the bar's TV. I'm forever bound to that group in my memory.
Around noon the company sent everyone home to be with their families.
I waited for my boys 12 and 10, to get home and explained what happened.

My neighbor had originally been booked on one of the flights from Boston but had cancelled due to a conflict.
My current company lost 4 people on the flights that day.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I was in my office at Pearson Airport as principal Gvt. Inspector so became very involved to facilitate the arrival and parking of the aircraft that made Toronto their new destination. As I lived only 10 minutes from the airport the next few days I was on call 24/7. In conjunction with the airport operator and NavCanada ( ATC) everything was done without the normal going up and down the usual chain of command.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 1,489 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE
I was in my office at Pearson Airport as principal Gvt. Inspector so became very involved to facilitate the arrival and parking of the aircraft that made Toronto their new destination. As I lived only 10 minutes from the airport the next few days I was on call 24/7. In conjunction with the airport operator and NavCanada ( ATC) everything was done without the normal going up and down the usual chain of command.
Just curious. How many aircraft diverted to Pearson?

Quick Reply: 9/11 Remembered