S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

9 year old girl accidentally kills shooting range instructor

Old 08-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts
Default 9 year old girl accidentally kills shooting range instructor

This was all over the media today. A 9 year old girl accidentally kills her range instructor after firing a few single shots then going to full automatic. The Uzi went over her head then one round hit the instructor in the head and unfortunately he died. I cannot believe her parents would bring her to this range (Burgers and bullets) to fire a very dangerous weapon. Secondly, I can't believe the range would allow a 9 year old to fire this weapon. Now she has to live with this tragic accident and so do the parents and range owners. My granddaughter is 10 and her Dad is a police officer and he could not believe the stupidity of these people. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

^
Old 08-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yup I am all for enjoying firearms in the right setting but this is just stupid and the instructor should not have allowed it. Anything more than a 22 is pushing it for a 9 year old boy or girl but a full auto uzi is just stupid. Very sad all around but this is a setting where things like this should not happen.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't every kid need to learn how to use an Uzi ?

God help us all if this is what the world is coming too.

The parents should be tried for negligent homicide at the very least.

9 years old !! No wonder our society is so messed up.

I am sick of hearing about these so called accidents in the news each day.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Why exactly a 9 year old needs to fire a gun is beyond me. Why exactly a 9 year old needs to fire a Uzi is way beyond me.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Phill_69
Doesn't every kid need to learn how to use an Uzi ?

God help us all if this is what the world is coming too.

The parents should be tried for negligent homicide at the very least.

9 years old !! No wonder our society is so messed up.

I am sick of hearing about these so called accidents in the news each day.
Do you have this kind of craziness in Canada. Every day there are murders in all of our cities and the situation is out of control. Just look at the mess in Missouri. Family and religious values are a major concern and the availability of guns is alarming. We don't go to Wilmington, DE any more as it has one of the highest crime rates per capita in the country. And then you see something senseless like this. We didn't have this craziness when I growing up and I fear for my grandkids when they have to enter into this society.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 460 Likes on 272 Posts

IMHO, the only reason that a nine year old should be exposed to such a weapon (in this case the Uzi) is to demonstrate to a child how destructive weapons can be and therefore how dangerous they are, and why children should NEVER touch them.

It is my opinion that the "so called" adults involved in this should be held accountable.
Would they let their nine year old drive?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

From what I saw reported the instructor was on the wrong side of her and not qualified to be doing that but none-the-less what is wrong with the parents that think they need to do that. That's way beyond Christmas Story and you could shoot someone's eye out.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Firearms are tools. Dangerous tools but tools nonetheless. Other tools, especially power tools can also maim and kill. Proper instruction is key and age appropriate use makes common sense. When my kids were smaller, certain tools in my shop were forbidden and that rule was enforced alone with other significant "safety" rules. As they aged I gave them more training, gradually increasing the complexity. Firearms are the same. You can demonstrate, teach them about them, be a good model for them, and gradually introduce them to using them in an age appropriate way. How many of us received BB guns (along with strict safety rules) and later graduated to 22s and finally other firearms? Boy Scouts has a great firearm course. My son made Eagle Scout and was qualified in Scouts with a shotgun and 22. Kids who know about firearms are less likely to play with them when discovered than non initiated kids.

Putting a car on jacks can be treacherous if done improperly. What mom or dad would not want to teach their kids the right way to do something like that? Firearms are the same. My kids have been around them all their lives. They know the different kinds, how to load, shoot, and field strip. They understand legal ramifications for use. They know laws as it applies to everyday use. They understand moral issues involved. As it turns out, neither of them own any. That is their choice but they do have decent working knowledge about them.

Firearms are so plentiful and ingrained in the US culture, they are here for good. You will always have accidents, always have criminals executing nefarious plots, mentally ill committing heinous acts. For those eligible citizens to possess firearms by choice, they own an invaluable tool for hunting, personal and family defense, and ensuring we can maintain our freedom from despots.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 460 Likes on 272 Posts

^^^ Well stated IMO.

Quick Reply: 9 year old girl accidentally kills shooting range instructor