S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Aggravating credit cards

Old 07-24-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 3,556 Likes on 2,403 Posts
Default Aggravating credit cards

About 5 or 6 weeks ago we had to get a new credit card on one of our accounts as someone had hacked our account somehow.
SO we got the new card and went through updating all of those autopay accounts.
Over the weekend I got another fraud alert. Someone hacked the new card...

Grrrrrr!!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

At a minimum, do not ever have card/banking/PayPal/other payment systems on your phone especially that log on automatically. Super easy to hack and steal. I think people who use their mobile for payment at kiosks are nuts and just asking for problems. (Google pay/Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/ You will pay dearly.

The very few times I need fast action with a bank, I actually make a phone call to them. Easy.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a similar problem a few years back. The amazing thing for me though was that the new credit card was hacked before I activated it.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,583 Posts

So you have autopay to a credit card? I don't do that. I have all bills debited from my checking account directly except for one that I pay online every month. Maybe you should consider that. My one credit card (yes, only one!) did get hacked in AZ when we were out there in Feb, but my credit company caught the charges quickly and I got a new card. Been a few years since that happened.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

We've been hacked or compromised a few times. Fortunately we were not out any $. Used the CC in a grocery store in ME once, and they had an issue...New card received. We've been notified once or twice of suspicious activity on the card and new cards were sent. Our debit cards have been compromised too. That one is tied to our checking account and I don't leave much $ lying around in there. The debit card is set to be DENIED if there are not enough funds to cover the purchase. The bank offered to tie the debit card to our savings in the event of an overdraft, ah, thanks, but no thanks!

We do have two credit cards. One is better than the other for exchange rates/fees when we were making Canada a frequent destination spot. I like having two. Don't want to be without if an account is compromised and I'm waiting for new cards.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 1,443 Likes on 967 Posts

These credit card hackers are relentless. I remember I had my Wells Fargo card hacked, back in 2011. When I when to the police department to file a report, the detective said he that just got his account hacked the month before.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 709 Likes on 480 Posts

I had someone in the acccounting office of the company I retired from get access to my bank routing number and account number. She had someone on the outside print Wells Fargo checks that looked like mine, almost. We don't put our phone number on our checks and the signatures were forged. 8 checks totaling several hundred dollars cashed at Wal Mart and a grocery chain for stuff. We don't write a check to these stores. Same thing happened to our COO who is a friend and retired soon after I did. An investigation was started and they caught her ass. She tried to flee to North Carolina but they brought her back to Delaware and charged her. Me and my friend testified and she is now serving time. They also caught the outside low life but I don't know what they got. Wells Fargo was great, we had the stolen funds deposited back in our account in 2 days. I use auto payment to pay all bills on line and always use credit not debit on purchases with card.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

My wife's credit card was recently used at Disney World in Florida. They used it for hotels, food, purchases, even day-care, to the tune of over eight thousand dollars! I don't see how they got away with it over a several day period. We have received bills from Disney after charges were denied, which we just sent back to them. Somebody else's name on the invoice, but our address.
I have my credit cards paid automatically, but I don't have any other bills deducted from my bank account. That's one area I don't share with anyone I don't have to. I rarely use my debit card either. I don't want anyone getting into my bank account!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I had two credit cards hacked within a 3 month period two years ago. The first one I caught, someone charged up $600.00 worth of shoes in a store in Ohio. The second one was caught by the bank. They had several hits for perfume in a shop in New York. The bank person who called me, said that my credit card was showing "red" all over, meaning, they knew someone was attempting fraud.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 799 Likes on 442 Posts

I think things happen differently to different people. I'm guessing I had one of my cards compromised by a retailer in the (near endless, but often unknown) security breaches.

The bank caught it when they requested a new card sent to a new address. Then, I got a new card from the same bank, and it happened immediately afterwards again, to another address.

I put a 1 year credit lock on, cancelled my cards with that bank completely, watch my report frequently and have not seen anything since. I have not gone to the local PD, due to sheer laziness.

I believe the following to be true.. Security breach. Info gets sold on black market. Scum do what they can to get a copy of the card for short term usage. Consumers who take immediate action are 'removed' from the scums list (not worth the extra effort). Those consumers who get lax in stopping in... well, their info gets respread on the black market. rinse/repeat.

In total for this whole ordeal for me was 1 change in my credit report (a new address), 2 requests to the bank for new cards, 0 charges and 0 dollars and a few hours of my time on the phone with the bank and reporting agencies.

Quick Reply: Aggravating credit cards