S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Am I a PollyAnna?

Old 02-27-2005, 01:12 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,Feb 27 2005, 01:32 PM
Dammit Rob,

I had to sign up for the NYT online (free) in order to read the Thomas Freidman story--I feel like I just signed up for the democratic party.
Cordy,

I knew we'd get you to our side sooner or later. You're smart enough to be a Democrat, I just couldn't understand why you insisted on fighting it this long. Welcome aboard.

Now if we can get flts to stop fighting the inevitable and join us, I will have done my good deed for the day! He'll be here sooner or later.

All joking aside, I thought you'd like that article, its sort of the same way that you see things. As soon as I read it I thought of you. That's why I posted the link.

If you keep an open mind, you'll find a lot of things (not every thing, but a lot of things) to like in the NY Times.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Bush didn't declare a war over, he welcomed home a ship full of troop who completed their mission. The liberals construed it in the press to look that way. Fortunately most Americans didn't swallow the liberal lie.

The liberals compound the lie by demanding instant gratification where it's not possible and Bush has stated that from the begining. How many troops did Roosevelt lose in the first year of WW2? They continue to compound it.

Bush and his policys are changing the world for the better, unlike other Presidents who wishy washed (one even won a Nobel Prize) with the exception of Reagan haven't done beans.

The middleeast has come close before but never made it. This time they have a chance as terrorists are being called terrorists, tyrants are called tyrants and Bush isn't afraid to tie policy and money to the expansion of Democracy.

Regarding the economy. I'm making more money that ever before. I employ more people have more payroll, pay more taxes now. My portfolio is doing very well, so those companies are obviously making money too.

How long the liberals sit spreading venom with their head in the sand is up to them. The worlds a bit different now, and the USA would be a better place if they would participate in legislation rather than stonewalling, rumor mongering etc and having no plan or strategy for the future other than one of spreading discontent.

My glass is alway half full, while theirs is always half empty.

To change the world, you have to believe.

fltsfshr
Old 02-27-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

That apolitical editorial that you listed in the NYT is probably the most right-wing thing said in the paper in a LONG time. One thing is for certain, if you get all your news from the NYT, you will hear Chicken Little (or chicken salad ) for the next four years.

For a differing viewpoint, visit http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ . It's got editorials from SEVERAL newpapers, not just invective spewing from Maureen Dowd. Who knows--when you read what you've been missing, you might become a Pollyanna too.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Speaking of reporters, this is a HOOT:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7037620/site/newsweek/

Apparently Vladmir Putin thought that Bush FIRED Dan Rather.

It's from the "Where do these people get their ideas?" file.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Feb 27 2005, 02:54 PM
Apparently Vladmir Putin thought that Bush FIRED Dan Rather.

It's from the "Where do these people get their ideas?" file.
Putin is a throwback to Soviet communism; that's the way it worked in the Soviet Union back then.

Unfortunately, Putin's cold war mindset appears to be taking over in Russia. I find this quite disturbing - almost as disturbing as the fact that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats seem to be in the least concerned about it.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:38 PM

flts,

That you are making more money then ever is a tribute to you not Bush. Even in the deepest years of the depression there were people making money. The point is that the economy in general is stagnating. There really aren't any signs of the recovery that we've heard of. The dollar is weak, energy prices are high, oil is over $50 per barrel, and there is no comprehensive energy policy. The deficit continues to grow.

Bush and his accomplishments, don't believe the hype.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew,Feb 27 2005, 06:32 PM
Putin is a throwback to Soviet communism; that's the way it worked in the Soviet Union back then.

Unfortunately, Putin's cold war mindset appears to be taking over in Russia. I find this quite disturbing - almost as disturbing as the fact that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats seem to be in the least concerned about it.
I wonder how Bush and his administration would relate to Putin if he didn't have terrorism as a common enemy. I wonder if he'd have as warm a feeling for him.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Rob,

Our economy grew at an adjusted rate of 3.8% last quarter, and is expected to sail on at 4% for all of 2005. 225,000 jobs are expected to be added to the rolls in February and interest rates and unemployment rates are as low as ANY time in the Clinton era.

Anecdotally, my business has never been better and my wife's business (international consulting firm), which has been hemmoraging for the past four years, turned the corner this quarter and saw a resultant 5% increase in stock price on Friday.

Quit reading the NY Times--it'll make you crazy!
Old 02-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Though I have many concerns about the Bush administration, economy wise, the US has one of the healthiest economies in the world. If you compare the US to Germany, France, or any EU country, the US has much lower unemployment, lower interest rates, and much stronger economic growth. 66% of families own their own homes today, the highest percentage in US history, minority ownership is also at record levels. The percentage of debt to GDP is still far less than it has been traditionally and the stock market has now been on the upswing for almost 2 years now.

I live in one of the poorest regions in the US, our unemployment rate for Cameron County, Texas is under 10% and the Bank deposits, building permits, and tax revenue is at all time highs right now.

I am not a Republican, but in the 12 years I have lived in this region, I have never seen the economy doing so well. This is in a region with an 85% Hispanic population. Go figure.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:20 AM

And another. The pro-Syrian Lebanese government just resigned today. Can Syria getting kicked out of Lebanon be far behind? Do you think Iran is watching?

Quick Reply: Am I a PollyAnna?