S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

America's role in the world???

Old 03-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 622 Likes on 376 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sailor
We lead best when we do what we're best at.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, some wonderfully diverse opinions so far.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 622 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally posted by Legal Bill
Well, some wonderfully diverse opinions so far.
Well, Bill,
This is implicitly a very political topic, and knowing how you avoid political squabbling, I hesitate to post political comments on your thread.

The problem with the analogy of parent/child being appied to our role in the world is that children do not have to solicit the relationship -- they ARE the genetic children of the parents. The US has no such relation with the rest of the world. At most then, we would be self-declared parents. Maybe it should, then, be no wonder that the rest of the world is begining to look at us with distrust and suspicion. The Nazis and the Soviets both had a similar parenting notion about their role in the world -- ultimately leading to their isolation and downfall. Ultimately there is no moral, ethical, intellectual or historical justification to impose our hegemony willy nilly and unilaterally in the world. America has traditionally been a strong moral voice and had massive positive influence during the 20th century, but we could lose our positive image quickly if the speak loudly and swing a big **ick American chauvinism continues to grow. I am truly concerned about the eroding perception of us in the world of the 21st century -- that dispite our large supply of smart bombs and delivery vehicles.

We have not only the right but also the sacred duty to defend ourselves. Hopefully that defense can occur in consortia with our valuable friends and allies. Our might has to extend out to where it is required to reach. But that is not a parenting role.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In relation to the parent/child theory, wouldn't America be considered the child? We are a realitively young country, with ideas of freedom and democracy that, while not entirely new, (Greece), no society was built on such democatic ideas for quite some time.

That being said, I feel that America as a whole has a naivety about certain countries and regimes. A large contigent of folks want to know what we as a country can do to make them understand and "like" us better. I fear that it's nearly impossible.

There are truly evil people in control of massive amount of people that have a singular mind-set that America must be destroyed. In my mind, if we don't recognize this, and somehow deal with it, they may go a long way toward their goal.

Complain as we do, the American system still has a way to deal with potential despots and villans, vote the bastard out.

Many areas of the world with considerably more desperate people, have no choice.

Even though the thought of strapping a bomb on our chest, or piloting a plane into a building, makes no sense to us, how can we know just how desperate, and how "controlled" these people are.

I have never been to the Gaza strip, but I have read the area is one of the most blighted, with concern to density of population, in the world. How about Iraq, Libya, Saudi Arabia, all areas with a have and have not society, but with a common distrust, and sometimes even hatred of America and it's policies.

Think those folks might be provoked to desperate acts??
Old 03-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To use the analogy, when does a parent deliberately set out to corrupt the culture in which their own children are raised?

From the standpoint of most of the nations we deal with, that's exactly what we're doing. We're not content to have created a culture in our own nation where the predominant values are greed, self-interest, and self-indulgence. Now we want to make the rest of the world over in our own image. It's no wonder they resist.

I agree that we have a lot of work to do at home first.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:56 PM

Rick, how can you generalize this country as one to set out an example of greed, self interest...etc.

America has always, (until 9/11) held it's doors open to anyone.

I personally know several people that came to this country from opressive or depressed countries and made their life into a sucess story through hard work, and a love for their new-found freedom.

I freely admit, there are people in or own country who suffer for many reasons, but when people come from an entire country that suffers, and find a way to flourish here, what does that tell you?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
To use the analogy, when does a parent deliberately set out to corrupt the culture in which their own children are raised?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:11 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Where are the history buffs? Feeling paternal destroyed the British Empire. When in history did coddling your enemies really make a difference? Joan of Arc was not a peacenik.

We're talking about people who want you dead. Who believe you are a tool of evil, unclean unworthy of life. That is their philosophy toward you. They wish to make you extinct and you want to turn the other cheek. Bullshit. Kill your enemys. In the end Darwin rules.

Most Respectfully

fltsfshr

Damn I like stirring the pot
Old 03-31-2004, 05:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fltsfshr
Old 03-31-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S1997

Quick Reply: America's role in the world???