S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

America's role in the world???

Old 03-31-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S1997
Old 03-31-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier this morning, I readTHIS STORY on Yahoo and immediately thought of this thread.

Now before I get lambasted for generalizations and being ethnocentric, etc. let me state that when I say "those people" I am referring to the a-holes in this story. I am not referring to all Iraqi's, all Arabs, or all Muslims. Let's be clear on that.

But this story really made me think. What the hell kind of people are we trying to help when these people openly celebrate the murder and dismemberment of contractors simply because they're not Iraqi? How can the world (or even this nation) really think that we have any chance at all of bringing true democracy to such an area?

As I said in the earlier thread about the 9/11 hearings, I used to think that the isolationists of the early 20th century were nut balls. I'm no longer so certain.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

You do have to ask yourself what sort of animals would be capable of that.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 03-31-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The world through Chazmo's eyes:

We should set an example in the world with our behavior. And, we should abide by a rigid set of rules when dealing with other nations. Instead, every country is a special-case to our government; the favoritism that we play makes us an enemy to many countries, and I believe that could be avoided.

My response to the question of playing parent is this: while we should set an example (as I said), we also have to admit that a large part of the world is not yet ready to be free. Thus, it is not our responsibility to force-feed democracy to the world, but rather to convince (and help, in some small ways) the rest of the world to get there themselves.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sailor
We lead best when we do what we're best at.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thongfoto
Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fltsfshr
Old 04-01-2004, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 04-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Here are Da Hapa's questions for you guys to ponder:

1) Why should we drive the rest of the world towards democracy?
2) Who says that our way of doing things is the right way for everyone?
3) Even if it is, why is it our responsibility to make it that way? And finally...
4) If the rest of the world is drowning in a cest pool of its own waste and corruption (hypothetically speaking), why would it be our job to play lifegaurd?

This thread has really got me thinking. Isn't it possible that some parts of the world just aren't ready for democracy and/or don't want democracy? I wonder why we're so egotistical and ethnocentric to think that we know what's best for everyone.

Let's face it. For better or worse (and this opens up a whole different and interesting topic), our culture is heavily influenced by European, Christian thought and ideology. Why would we think its a rationale leap of faith to expect what's right for us to be right for the Muslims in the middle east?

I mentioned this on this board once before (before the Vintage Forum existed) and nearly got burned at the stake, but I couldn't help but think we were on the comletely wrong track with many things in Afghanistan way back when. There was so much focus on the treatment of women. Now by my standards, I agree, it was horrific. And I'm not making any rationalizations or justifications. But how would we feel if the Taliban had all the power and came over here telling us how we had to behave? How arrogant we can be!

What are your thoughts?????

Quick Reply: America's role in the world???