S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Another school shooting

Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I sure hope you were drunk when you wrote that. If not, you're an asshole!
I assume that was more commentary on the fact that THIS IS the new norm, which makes this news actually not shocking at all, but expected.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-p...s-r-1823016659

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Yep, that's it. I'm the asshole. If nothing changed after those babies were slaughtered at Sandy Hook, then nothing will change. Count on it. I hope I'm wrong but...

But what do I know? I'm just an insensitive and likely a sarcastic asshole.
But, you are not alone with your angst. Why complain, this is the new norm, we need to get used to it, it won't change.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
I assume that was more commentary on the fact that THIS IS the new norm, which makes this news actually not shocking at all, but expected.
​​​​​ Exactly, Zip, it is The New Normal. I don't really feel numb. I think I feel disgusted. I'm disgusted that the students knew how to respond because they had and practiced active shooter training. I'm disgusted that we have active shooter training in my workplace. I'm disgusted by the fact that instead of becoming increasingly rare, these situations are becoming increasingly common.

I don't know what the answer is to all of this but I do feel that we're not getting any closer to it unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 AM

How many children, or adults for the matter need to die? Apparently we have not reached that point, and it does seems we never will.

How do we stay sane, I understand that the serenity prayer is good for that. So here's my thoughts and prayer.

Give me grace to accept with serenitythe things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which could be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguishthe one from the other.

Since I can do nothing to change "the things", being upset and angry appears to be of no help, you might as well accept those things with serenity, to keep your sanity.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

I posted this in the same thread in Politics, but I think it belongs here, as well. An article from 2012 that seems like it was written today: https://www.theatlantic.com/national...m_source=atlfb
Old 02-15-2018, 05:04 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

It's already started in that the gun control folks are already politicizing and will shortly focus on automatic weapons.

OK, difficulty in getting AWs may have slowed down the killing but would it not have prevented the incident. Complete banning of guns( a fantasy) would have driven this highly deranged unit to fire, bombs,vehicles or other means.

Despite throwing off red flags both on social media and with the school system he slipped through the cracks. We can help seal the cracks but in a free society this will always be a possibility.

IMHO,Trained armed Security the only logical response to this at this point
The following users liked this post:
freq (02-19-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by gerry100
It's already started in that the gun control folks are already politicizing and will shortly focus on automatic weapons.

OK, difficulty in getting AWs may have slowed down the killing but would it not have prevented the incident. Complete banning of guns( a fantasy) would have driven this highly deranged unit to fire, bombs,vehicles or other means.

Despite throwing off red flags both on social media and with the school system he slipped through the cracks. We can help seal the cracks but in a free society this will always be a possibility.

You are right, we need MORE guns.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:12 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
How many children, or adults for the matter need to die? Apparently we have not reached that point, and it does seems we never will.

How do we stay sane, I understand that the serenity prayer is good for that. So here's my thoughts and prayer.

Give me grace to accept with serenitythe things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which could be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguishthe one from the other.

Since I can do nothing to change "the things", being upset and angry appears to be of no help, you might as well accept those things with serenity, to keep your sanity.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100

The school had trained security on hand.

A lot of good that did.

Guns are the problem. Guns should be difficult to get. It took 3x as much paperwork for me to adopt a kitten as it would for me to buy a gun.

And I'm not complaining about how much paperwork I had to fill out for my kitten.

Quick Reply: Another school shooting