S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anybody from Vintage want to chime in

Old 08-29-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Aug 29 2009, 04:46 PM
Remember Paul Newman...???
My mother just loved Paul Newman and Tom Seleck.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year Dad postponed his cornea replacement surgery until after he could get his license renewed for another 4 years. He didn't want to take a chance not being able to drive.
This last March, wife and I are standing in line at the BMV to get registrations renewed. We're looking out the window, and my RX is shaking as this minivan strafes the rear bumper. Before I could get back out there, the van backs up and hits it again. I call the cops. I look at this old minivan and it has so many dents it looks like a white pineapple. Old man wearing coke bottle glasses gets out on crutches, sans one leg. He says that don't look bad and he'll pay for it. I tell him cop is on the way. Man can't find license, proof of insurance, or current registration. Cop calls in and finds out the man actually has all of the above. Cop gives me insurance info and gives old man a citation. Old man gets pissed to the max and reads cop the riot act. I go back into BMV to get back in line. Old man still pissed gets into his car mouthing and gesturing and proceeds to leave. As he backs up, he hits my bumper for the 3rd time. Cop is standing on the sidewalk and is shaking his head. Total damage $507, which his insurance paid.
I don't have any confidence that these matters are going to change any time soon. These old farts vote, and the insurance companies can't easily just dump them either. There really do have to be some limits.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John, I would call your story BUT there is no way anyone could make that up

Thats just nuckin futs!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think that's nuts? Now picture the fact that his damage was on his Windstar passenger side door. Just try to visualize that once. If it had been me, that cop would not have cut me that slack; he'd have me walking the line and impound my car. That cop sure would not have handled the belligerence from me! Even in my disbelief, I felt sorry for the old bastard. The real joke is that the old man was allowed to drive away, right?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That's special!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can believe it. My wifely unit also parks by feel. I dont even try to buff out the marks on her front bumper from the planter next to our carport anymore.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

My mother is 87. One and a half years ago my sister and I had to take her car away. She was, to say the least, a danger on the road. She still can't understand why we did this, and she still insists that she is capable of driving safely, but her trail of mishaps and accidents in the last two years tells an entirely different story.

There is no question that there are some people who remain capable of driving well into their 90s, but there is also no reason not to retest people as they get older. As a matter of fact, if budget wasn't a consideration, I think it probably would be a good idea to retest all drivers every few (3 to 5) years.

I can tell you first hand that taking away the right to drive from somebody who has driven all of their life is devastating. It completely changes the complexion of their life, and takes away their independence (or their feeling of independence) at the same time as they are losing some of their other abilities. Taking away the car from my mother was a terrible thing to do to her. On the other hand, had we not done it, there is no question in my mind, my sister's mind or her doctors minds that sooner or later she would have been involved in an accident, potentially injuring and/or killing herself and others. She simply had to be taken off of the road.

Hopefully we will all reach that certain age where we will no longer be able to safely drive a car. Hopefully, when we reach that age we will still have enough mental capacity to recognize that we can no longer drive without posing a hazard to ourselves or others. Unfortunately, that is often not the case.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 AM

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,429 Posts

First I'll state I am firm in my belief that oder drivers need to be retested.
Driving is a privilege not a right.

Retesting will not capture a class of drivers I believe to be a very high risk.
As the cognitive faculties go away and Alzheimer set's in they are the most dangerous.
Anyone who has spent time around these folks will recognize what a friend referred to as the deer in the headlights look.
It only lasts a few moments but during that period they have no understanding of where they are, what they are doing or even who they are.
And then in an instant the moment is gone, and they are themselves again.
Now put that moment in effect when they are behind the wheel in traffic.

It becomes pretty easy to see how they could drive into a storefront or a crowd.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 AM

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Fortunately, my dad (93) gave up driving entirely, as of a month or so ago. He did it voluntarily and without complaint. I'm very thankful. My mom (87) drives him, which is going OK, at least for now.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 AM

Received 734 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 1 2009, 12:36 AM
My mother is 87. One and a half years ago my sister and I had to take her car away. She was, to say the least, a danger on the road. She still can't understand why we did this, and she still insists that she is capable of driving safely, but her trail of mishaps and accidents in the last two years tells an entirely different story.

There is no question that there are some people who remain capable of driving well into their 90s, but there is also no reason not to retest people as they get older. As a matter of fact, if budget wasn't a consideration, I think it probably would be a good idea to retest all drivers every few (3 to 5) years.

I can tell you first hand that taking away the right to drive from somebody who has driven all of their life is devastating. It completely changes the complexion of their life, and takes away their independence (or their feeling of independence) at the same time as they are losing some of their other abilities. Taking away the car from my mother was a terrible thing to do to her. On the other hand, had we not done it, there is no question in my mind, my sister's mind or her doctors minds that sooner or later she would have been involved in an accident, potentially injuring and/or killing herself and others. She simply had to be taken off of the road.

Hopefully we will all reach that certain age where we will no longer be able to safely drive a car. Hopefully, when we reach that age we will still have enough mental capacity to recognize that we can no longer drive without posing a hazard to ourselves or others. Unfortunately, that is often not the case.
^^ . It was the end of his life as far as my dad was concerned when he lost his driving privileges. He was, however, totally unable to drive safely and was a danger to himself and others. He gave up on life when he lost his independence and no matter how much attention he was given by all his children and his wife and no matter how many places we took him it was not the same. HOWEVER, he was incapable of operating a vehicle. He was only 64. My mother otoh, drives quite safely and is over 80. I agree with the mandatory testing and I also hope I give my privilege up willingly when I can no longer drive safely.

Quick Reply: Anybody from Vintage want to chime in