S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Anyone belong to Direct Buy?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts
Default Anyone belong to Direct Buy?

Direct Buy is a members only showroom with discounted prices. That's about all I know from the TV ads. I want to know if they sell televisions, and if yes, can you order a specific tv or just choose from what they offer on the floor? If you can order, I would like to find out the price of a specific tv. If this is possible, and you belong, would you PM me? Any general info can be posted here as others may want to know if joining is worth it. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a Google search on this outfit a few months ago..there was a whole website of complaints about it. You need to pay up to $5000 (non-refundable) upfront for the privelege of buying from them, and you only get one chance to do this, no thgink it over and come back tomorrow, their "showroom" stocks catalogs so you can't see the item in person and there are stiff delivery or restock charges. Here's a link to a Consumer Reports article on them.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 3,030 Likes on 1,680 Posts

I had signed up to go to their appointment only, introduction and then did a search on them. Found out the same thing as ajlafleche. Bottom line seemed that if you are building a new house and will need lots of major appliances and furniture, you could save money, in the long run, but there would be hassles most likely. It wasn't worth it for me so I canceled out on the orientation/introduction.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Thanks for the article and input. I guess to buy a $1,000 TV, I should not pay a 5,000 fee to join. Yikes.
Will keep waiting for a price drop on the internet, or for my stimulus check from the Obama administration.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:48 PM
or for my stimulus check from the Obama administration.
Sorry but I hadda laugh on that.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 799 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:58 PM
I had signed up to go to their appointment only, introduction and then did a search on them. Found out the same thing as ajlafleche. Bottom line seemed that if you are building a new house and will need lots of major appliances and furniture, you could save money, in the long run, but there would be hassles most likely. It wasn't worth it for me so I canceled out on the orientation/introduction.
I can't comment on the reports indicated.

I have a friend and a family member who are members at their local club. You pay an initiation to join which is usually good for 5-10 years. The discounts are variable, depending on the items.

Furniture and home furnishings are highly discounted, electronics aren't.

As mentioned, if you're buying/building a house, and can save 10s of thousands of dollars by spending $5K up front, probably worth it.

I also believe the contract that the buyer signs says that its illegal to share pricing to non-members.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend who joined so he could save money when he built his house. We were both building at the same time and at no time did DB's price even meet the prices I could find on the streets.

A big plus on the streets was that I also go counseling and information. He got what was printed in a catalog.

Needless to say he didn't buy much thru them.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary' date='Jan 4 2009, 10:12 PM
I also believe the contract that the buyer signs says that its illegal to share pricing to non-members.

As strange as that sounds it's no surprise. I too started looking into DirectBuy a while back, but when I discovered the $4,800 entrance fee I just laughed, for me and my needs it would have been a stupid waste, if I were building a new big home, I'm sure with the investment of a lot of time and hassle there could be some good savings.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:04 AM
I had a friend who joined so he could save money when he built his house. We were both building at the same time and at no time did DB's price even meet the prices I could find on the streets.
A big plus on the streets was that I also go counseling and information. He got what was printed in a catalog.
Here in lies the key! If you are a savvy shopper you can typically get really close to their prices, plus you have the ability to deal with company/factory reps and/or actually see and touch the product.

From my point-of-view they over state their claimed savings based upon the very high "original price" they have on merchandise.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 3,554 Likes on 2,401 Posts

They do certainly seem to have a strong marketing budget.
I only see their ads about 18 times a day.

Quick Reply: Anyone belong to Direct Buy?