S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: What is the most improtant consideration for where you will retire?
Proximity to family
7.14%
Quality of health care
0%
Taxes
0%
Weather
21.43%
Cost of living
7.14%
Cultural richness like plays, music, events, art, etc
0%
Political climate (red or blue state)
0%
Geographic features like ocean, mountains, or lakes
0%
I don't want to leave
0%
It's a combinations for me. See below.
64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Best places to retire

Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

I have no intention of retiring. Life may have other plans for me, but at present, I have no intention of retiring.

What's the old expression? Man plans and God laughs.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like "stay in place" is most everyone's answer.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

It would have to be a combination of factors for us. Most likely we'll stay where we are because we really do like living in the northeast. We'd like to move into a city and out of the suburbs. We'd love to retire in New York City, but the cost of living there is very high. Boston, Philadelphia or even a smaller city like Morristown might work for us. We're only 7 miles from Morristown, 30 miles from New York City, 1 1/2 hours from Philadelphia and about 4 hours from Boston and Washington DC. Close enough to get all of the city life that we love.

There's also the question of space. We've spent the last 20 years in a fairly large house. Before that we lived in a fairly large loft. Moving back into a small apartment might feel like trying to squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube. I'm not sure we're ready, or will ever be ready, for that.

There really are only two drawbacks to where we are now, the weather and the taxes.

We have thought about relocating to Virginia or North Carolina. As a matter of fact, Virginia is the only place on the list that we'd consider. Still, when we think about it, we really would rather stay here.

Most likely we're going to stay where we are for as long as we can. We've put down roots, and like it here.

Also, I'm not sure I'll ever completely retire. I'm lucky to be in a profession where you can work well into old age. I'll probably slow down over the years but I'll probably never completely retire. At least not as long as I'm healthy enough to work a few days a week. I'm also lucky that my license is portable. With a very few exceptions, because of reciprocity, I can be licensed most anywhere I go. If we do end up in another state, I can still continue to work as a licensed CPA.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
I have no intention of retiring. Life may have other plans for me, but at present, I have no intention of retiring.

Keep working woman. Someone has to pay my social security benefits.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
It would have to be a combination of factors for us. Most likely we'll stay where we are because we really do like living in the northeast. We'd like to move into a city and out of the suburbs. We'd love to retire in New York City, but the cost of living there is very high. Boston, Philadelphia or even a smaller city like Morristown might work for us. We're only 7 miles from Morristown, 30 miles from New York City, 1 1/2 hours from Philadelphia and about 4 hours from Boston and Washington DC. Close enough to get all of the city life that we love.

There's also the question of space. We've spent the last 20 years in a fairly large house. Before that we lived in a fairly large loft. Moving back into a small apartment might feel like trying to squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube. I'm not sure we're ready, or will ever be ready, for that.

There really are only two drawbacks to where we are now, the weather and the taxes.

We have thought about relocating to Virginia or North Carolina. As a matter of fact, Virginia is the only place on the list that we'd consider. Still, when we think about it, we really would rather stay here.

Most likely we're going to stay where we are for as long as we can. We've put down roots, and like it here.

Also, I'm not sure I'll ever completely retire. I'm lucky to be in a profession where you can work well into old age. I'll probably slow down over the years but I'll probably never completely retire. At least not as long as I'm healthy enough to work a few days a week. I'm also lucky that my license is portable. With a very few exceptions, because of reciprocity, I can be licensed most anywhere I go. If we do end up in another state, I can still continue to work as a licensed CPA.
I'm very fortunate I can do the snowbird thing Rob. I would not want to leave Mass entirely. But I could see myself changing residency to another state.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1399342595' post='23145855

Well, it's only appropriate that the able-bodied take care of the feeble.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm tired of the winters and the taxes in NY. Plan to retire when I hit 55 in a couple of years. We will be debt free before I turn 56. My wife wants to stay in NY until her parents are gone and the nieces/nephew are out of college, so it looks like I'm stuck for at least 5 years after I retire.

I want to down size, move to a less harsh environment, with lower taxes, and nice roads for the motorcycle.

Note: I was in NJ over the weekend. You cannot pump your own gas there. Even with a paid attendant to pump gas, I paid close to 20 cents a gallon less than pumping my own in NY. Hate the taxes!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1399346974' post='23145926
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1399342595' post='23145855']

[/quote]

Private Feeble reporting for benefits, Ma'am.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I'm tired of the winters and the taxes in NY. Plan to retire when I hit 55 in a couple of years. We will be debt free before I turn 56. My wife wants to stay in NY until her parents are gone and the nieces/nephew are out of college, so it looks like I'm stuck for at least 5 years after I retire.

I want to down size, move to a less harsh environment, with lower taxes, and nice roads for the motorcycle.
So what state are you thinking about? Will you continue to work and if so, as what?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1399360282' post='23146069
[quote name='Legal Bill' timestamp='1399346974' post='23145926']
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1399342595' post='23145855']

[/quote]

Private Feeble reporting for benefits, Ma'am.
[/quote]

Take a number and go to the waiting room. Remember that scene from Beetlejuice? There ya go.