S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Buying a Mattress - Any Suggestions?

Old 12-22-2005, 06:47 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Dec 22 2005, 10:42 AM
I forgot to mention:

In shopping around for mattresses, I've yet to find a place that's set up to let you really try one out. HPH
Old 12-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Dec 21 2005, 08:41 PM
What a nightmare. The choices are endless. The prices are all over the board. The internet and places like Consumers Report are of little help.

So far about all I've been able to research says to lay on them from 3 to 15 minutes. Moderately firm is better than too firm and too soft. Get 1-1/2 to 2" thick padding on top.

Rankings are nearly impossible to find. ConsumersSearch suggests Simmons Beautyrest World Class is best for couples, especially if one tosses a lot. Sealy or Serta or whatever they are called is another that is recommended for heavier folks.

It seems impossible to do any cost comparison shopping as each store has it's own names; ie, what might be Simmons Sweet in one store is Simmons Sour in another........ and they may be the same or they may be different.

People either rave or hate the foam, like Tempur-Pedic, so I've scratched that one off the list.

The wife and I have spent a couple hours laying around testing at least a two dozen different ones. After a while it gets really frustrating.

We had been planning on getting a King, until I took some measurements - there's no way I can get it around the corners & up the stairs. So it's back to a Queen.

We are leaning towards a Simmons that's priced at $1600.

I think the most frustrating part is, when I was young we could have slept on the hard floor but no more; now we have much higher expectations but feel like we are at the mercy of pot luck. It's hard for me to believe that our particular comfort preferences are such that we are all so different. In any case, how does one make a rational selection from 850 different mattresses!
I just replaced my mattress after almost 18 yrs!!!
I bought a Sealy "firm" it was the most comfortable. I started with the 'firmest mattress" and worked my way down... this was 2nd (i think) most firm. It felt good and then I asked if he could do better on the price... he knocked off $75. I purchased just the mattress (didnt need a box spring as I am using a platform bed) AND by back no longer hurts!

Good luck....
Old 12-22-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 5,025 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Well, my wife has had her heart set on a King and refused to take my word that they can't get one up the stairs. I tried explaining that a 13" thick mattress doesn't bend like they old 7" ones plus it would be 18" wider than our Queen. She said she wanted to hear it from the delivery person! Being as how I have to live with her I took my observations back to the store. An interesting pro/con discussion started between the employees. The store manager (naturally) said - - no problem; he has seen them take an Olympic Queen and roll it up like a hot dog, tie it, and get it up stairs!! I pipe up and say, yah but, it's not your brand new $2,000 (price of the King) mattress that is being deformed and crushed before anyone has even slept on it. So he suggests the sales person call the Simmons factory rep, plus ask the delivery person to stop by and see the situation.

By my measurements an Olympic Queen who fit up the stairs. So I asked, If I put a 4" board on top of the box springs, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the them? One person says Yes but... The next says No because they are no longer box springs but really just a box foundation. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Having used expensive foam pillows for years due a neck problem, I know from experience they definitely don't hold up long term. So that's another reason I am avoiding a foam style mattress but I could be all wrong.

Like I said, this is a Major Pain....... But thank you all for the feedback, I will check out your suggestions.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:07 AM

Hi Dave,

Consumer Reports published an article entitled How To Buy A Mattress Without Losing Sleep in their June 2005 issue.

You may want to check it out.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver,Dec 23 2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Dave,

Consumer Reports published an article entitled How To Buy A Mattress Without Losing Sleep in their June 2005 issue.

You may want to check it out.

The problem is they don't make any specific recommendations.

There are about 40 brands of mattresses. The three biggies in the industry are Serta, Sealy and Simmons. The truth is, the same manufacturers make lots of different mattress lines that are sold at different retailers.

So, two mattresses that are essentially the same but differ in color, can be sold under different names and at radically different prices. This makes it tough to compare mattresses and prices.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Dec 23 2005, 01:25 PM
...So, two mattresses that are essentially the same but differ in color, can be sold under different names and at radically different prices. This makes it tough to compare mattresses and prices.
I'm sure this was neither the manufacturers or retailers' intent.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 AM

Why scrimp on a bed? You're going to spend at least a third of your life there.

The ex had some severe joint problems so we sprang for a Duxiana. That was truly a top notch bed and as you know, comes with the price tag that is also top notch.

So the ex and the bed are gone. I can sleep on a piece of plywood with a sheet over it so I find it hard to follow my own advice about bed buying. I've got a cheap matress now but am going to try one of the foam beds.

Novaform @ costco

I was hoping someone had some experience with them but looks like no one has tried one. Seems to be packaged like a life raft waiting to expand. No problem taking it up stairs and through doorways.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Well, I guess we finally came to a consensus.

Mfr: After doing our rest tests, we agreed on a higher end Simmons. If we are not happy within 14 days it can be returned for a credit.

Size: The installers said they could get a King up to the second floor but they advised against it. We ruled out an Olympic Queen; too hard to find sheets and if we want hard sex there's always the kitchen table. So it's back to a Queen, which saves me money on size and sheets. The new Queen's sit so much higher than our old one, by measurements it looks like the expensive King size goose down blanket we bought this summer will work without dragging.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Smokee,Dec 23 2005, 03:35 PM] Why scrimp on a bed? You're going to spend at least a third of your life there.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:17 PM

As much as memory foam sellers tout that it was initially developed for the space program, ironically it was never used in any space mission. The initial memory foam, known as T-foam, offgassed too much for use in a closed environment.

Quick Reply: Buying a Mattress - Any Suggestions?