S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

California Wild Fires

Old 10-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts
Default California Wild Fires

Hope you Cali folks are ok. From what I’m seeing on the Weather Channel, it looks very bad for the Napa/Sonoma areas.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Yes, I'm hoping Morris posts and let's us know how they are doing.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

My wife and I almost went to the Harvest Fair in Sonoma County. It is a wine and food deal we have enjoyed for decades. We decided to head for the cabin in the Sierras. The hotel we have stayed at so many times burned to the ground along with the Hilton next door. Rather fortuitous not going this year.
I am on 5 acres bordering on open wild areas; every few years I have a bulldozer clear everything and burn it up. California is the land of shake and bake.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

The Plant Pixie and I were also watching the reports on the Weather Channel this afternoon and were wondering about the folks in harms way in CA. Especially, Morris in the thick of things. We hope for the best possible outcome.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Ten dead!? Wow. That is very unusual. That must be a very unpredictable fire in Napa. I just learned of one in Anaheim that started on Monday. I didn't know about northern California.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:10 AM

Over 100 people are reported missing in the Napa/Sonoma fire area.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 1,425 Likes on 955 Posts

Jim,

I hope all is okay with a friend that lives up there. No answered email or phone messages, so far.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Jim,

I hope all is okay with a friend that lives up there. No answered email or phone messages, so far.

Internet and mobile service is down in fire areas and surrounding areas as well. Extensive outages. Best thing is to take a close look at the fire maps to see if your buddy is in the zone. Good friend of mine is outside the fire zone on the maps for now but I cannot contact him with anything.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I think Morris' house was in/near Rutherford but he sold that one so not sure where he is exactly now. I drove to different wineries in Napa some years ago and was on the Silverado Trail where the Signorello Winery burned. I had lunch at Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford. Rutherford looks to be outside the fire zone for now as far as I can tell.

Last edited by MsPerky; 10-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Hello to my S2K friends. First, the +1 and I are fine, and second, our house is still standing. You have heard on the news about Silverado Country Club, the site of the Safeway open that ended just a few hours before the Atlas Peak fire began. We were returning from Washington state where we celebrated my Mom's 90 birthday. We were beat and in bed early only to be awakened at 11pm by a neighbors call that people above the resort, in the Highlands" were evacuating due to a fire. We went back to bed. At 12:30am there was a pounding on the door and someone yelling GET OUT! Saw a line of cars passing by the house, so we grabbed a few things and drove away in thick smoke to a hotel across town. They were on notice of possible evacuations, so we called friends who said come on over. We are still with these wonderful friends.
Both yesterday and today I walked a couple miles back to our home to check on things, get clothes and medicine, and yesterday ride my bike around the resort to check on friends houses. We were told to stay away, but the officer at the roadblock said he would not chase me, nor shoot me, so I walked on. Yesterday there were homes still burning only 1/4 mile from ours. Both friends houses were standing, but one was literally between and across from devasting ruins. One was still burning and threatening to drop embers on friends home, but I was able to find three firemen in a truck that agreed to go up and shoot some water to increase the odds. Was not able to check today but hope it saved the house. I have seven good friends, that I know of, that have lost all. Three are neighbors where we used to live up in the hills. Bizarre to have lived in the country with tough terrain and fire fuel for 20 years, never forced to leave, then be evacuated after nine months in a settled neighborhood.
Napa has limited cell service at this time. No power in many areas affected by the fire. Limited internet access. An abundance of thick smoke, worse than yesterday as the winds keep shifting to and from the bay. We are very lucky to be where we are, with good friends, plenty to eat and wifi.
Many of the missing are likely just unable to get word out due to the above. Evacuating residents has been the priority and most homes burned never saw a drop of water. It has just been too overwhelming for the firefighters. The Santa Rosa fire was pushed in some areas by winds of over 60 MPH and you can't stop fires in those conditions.
This has been quite an experience, one I hope none of you share. Thank you for your good thoughts. I'll check back here soon. Dean AKA Morris

Quick Reply: California Wild Fires