S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Capital Punishment

Old 11-05-2003, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capital Punishment

The Green River Killer in Washington brings bad memories for me. I heard on the radio, on my way to work this morning, that many of the victims' families were upset that the death penalty was no longer on "the table." While I personally think that death is too good for a lot of "capital criminals," I am fully in favor of putting heinous criminals to a swift, just death. Problem is, the death penalty leaves too many loop-holes, and too much "wiggle room" to get away. I personally had to go through this decision when my son was murdered ( not pretty ). I chose a quick "closure" with a definite outcome--life without parole or appeal. My heart goes out to the victims' families in Washington, but put this guy away for a long, hard, time...don't give him a quick out or a chance to get sympathy from those liberals who have no idea what it's like to suffer as a victim's family member.

I hate for States to foot the bill to keep a murderer in comfort for the rest of their lives, but I sadistically enjoy thinking about my son's murders being some one's bitch--for a long time. " o " this is your rectum, " O " this is your rectum in prison!

I'm sorry to bring this up, but part of my healing process is talking about it...
Old 11-05-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I worry about my own son all the time. I still haven't heard from him and it has been almost 6 months. I wonder if he has been hurt, or worse.

I see some of these murderers on TV and hear the stories of how the killed their victims and I am always unable to understand how a human can lack any sense of right.

In Massachusetts the jury is currently considering the fate of Samson who killed a series of people after he car-jacked them. These people gave him a lift when he appeared stranded. He would tie them to a tree and then stab them to death while they pleaded for their lives. How does anyone feel leniency for such a man?

His defense is that he tried to turn himself in before he started his killing spree, but the FBI hung up on him. Sadly, this part of his story is also true and there are those who feel he should be spared because the state failed to step in when he reached out.

QPhox4, I'm sorry for your loss. I admire that you can accept letting the killers live. Even if they suffer a brutal life in prison it is still more than they offered your son and the other victims. You show that even with every reason to cry for blood, you can rise above those desires to do the practical thing at a time when most people aren't thinking logically.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:19 PM

Bill,

I've thought about your son many times and said a silent prayer for you. I've had experiences somewhat similar. You mentioned your situation in the thread about kids and cars. I like to think about my son's murders as being tortured for life--living hell. I hope they think about how many years they may live--without hope for love, family, or a choice to do what they choose. To me, at least, "hopelessness" is worse than death--my wife and I hoped that it would be the same for these three guys when we made our deal with the Florida (Bay County) District Attorney.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:22 PM

Qphox I also am sorry for your loss & Legal Bill hope you hear from your son soon.

I personally don't believe in the Death Penalty, but as a Warden of a medium security prison I can tell you that I hope some never leave. I like to believe we can work with some people to change or that even if they are not every leaving prison they change enough to help someone else make it.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

This thread raises some very difficult issues and questions. I think these are issues that we all must face and think about. I am saddened to read of the events that have occured but I am pleased that you all have the confidence and ability to address these issues here. I hope this thread continues so that we can all learn some things that we need to know. I hope that this discussion remains on the very high level it has been on thus far.
Please continue.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Qphox- I add my condolences on your loss, and hope that this thread can be part of your healing process. I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child. One of the ministers at our church lost a 30 yo son to road rage in CA about 5 years ago; his faith needs to be strong to help him work through it. I hope you will find peace. We vintage folks are blessed that you feel comfortable sharing with us.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Way too much money is being wasted keeping these people locked up forever. It is amazing how much is spent on medical bills alone just to keep them from dying themseives. In cases like the Green River Killer, a swift death penalty should be given.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:40 AM

They get the best medical treatment available through the state. Sad.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:41 AM

QPhox4,

My son was born in the Tyndall Air Force Base Hospital in 1986. I spent a few years at Naval Coastal Systems Center, Panama City Beach, Fla.

You are hitting home with this. My son
Old 11-06-2003, 03:02 AM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

In April of last year a PERSON got into an arguement at a bar, and shot the other guy. The victim survived a gun shot wound to the chest.
Several hours later this PERSON was sitting in a car with a Police Officer in the car behind him at a traffic light. PERSON, thinking the officer was on to him (but he wasn't) jumped out of his car, ran back to the Police Officer's car and shot him twice in the head & once in the chest killing the officer. Thank god that there were witnesses to both shootings.
He was found guilty, and yesterday sentenced to death! This is what this PERSON wants (death). At first that is what I wanted, but in this case let's not give him what HE wants. He should rot in prison!
I retired from the Police Dept. just before this incident and knew the Officer who got ASSASSINATED! It was a very sad day here!

Quick Reply: Capital Punishment