S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Capital Punishment

Old 11-07-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you know beyond a shadow of a doubt, and the criminals have confessed--in great detail--as to what they did, why shouldn't the death penalty be swift and just? Because some people don't believe in capital punishment? It's a crock.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 AM

Unless the sun blows up sooner than we expect (which with all last week's weirdness, who knows?), we will eventually evolve to the point where the death penalty becomes obsolete. As you pointed out in your initial message, death is too good for capital criminals. And, as I pointed out, death can hardly be considered punishment. Every one of us exhausts another appeal with each breath we take, and the Governor's not going to call.

Meanwhile, if there must be a death penalty, I only ask that it be applied fairly and consistently. In other words, for example, the executive who is aware that his employees work in an environment that causes painful death by cancer but, motivated by profit, keeps it secret, should be entitled to the same swift and just date with "old sparky" as the cold-blooded killers who touched your life. For which I am very sorry.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:27 PM

"Old Sparky" reminds me of "Stephen King's" "Green Mile." Good read.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:51 AM

I would rather see them removed from this world for ever and ever. They confessed, there is collaborating evidence, kill them immediatly.

Qphox4, I feel great pain reading your son's story and I admire you for the way you handle it.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Buzz,
I am sorry for your loss, and I think that you made the proper decision. It is better to try to heal yourself and know that the murderer will be in prison for the rest of his natural life. I applaud you for that.

I personally am against the death penalty for a couple of reasons:
1. Thou shalt not kill. No one has the right (IMO) to take anothers life unless it is to protect your own or another's life.
2. There are mistakes. Certainly not with your son's killer or the Green River killer or many others, but there are many mistakes.
3. It costs alot less to keep someone in jail with no possibility of getting out, then it does to go through the appeals process.

These three all dovetail together.

But, I do have a different remedy for the known predators. A prison colony that will be defended at all times, escape would mean death. This prison colony would have no guards inside, let the patients run the asylum, and if they choose to kill each other, so be it. Drop in food once a week and let all fall where it may.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:34 PM

Zippy,
If you quote the bible for reason #1, then I belive the bible also supports punishment by death.
I agree with the premise behind reason #2 but it has to do with a corrupted or/and incompetent justice system and I think it is a stretch to let this continue as long as we exclude certain punishments.
I believe #3 has a lot to do with #2 and the length of the appeal process is a bad joke IMHO.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:08 PM

The biblical commandment reads, in its original Hebrew, "Thou shalt not MURDER". The New Testament also states: [For governments] "do not bear the sword for nothing, [being] an agent of wrath to bring punishment to the wrongdoer".

The moral question is already decided in favor of the death penalty, I would say; it's just our imperfect "justice" systems that are the issue. Maybe the increased use of DNA evidence will help. As things stand, too many people are getting away with murder!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hecash
They shoot horses don't they?