S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Which car to buy?

Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if you are going to buy new for yourself what are the car's needs?
- 2-door, 4-door, wagon?
- little, medium, big?
- AWD, FWD, RWD?
- regular gas, premium gas, diesel, hybrid?
- price range?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the input. What I didn't want was anymore car payments and it seems that if we do this we will still be paying for a car. I was looking forward to saving 'xxx' a month. but as we have read this and given thought to the situation I can see car payments in my future.

Our Passats have had none of the reported problems. Perhaps because they are German built. Yes, Lainey you are right our daughter knows the history, she likes the comfort and that's why she wants Driver. She will be driving around Toronto everyday and I think she might do better on gas in a smaller car, although we get 30mpg from Driver and 28 from the other Passat (license plate VMW because +1 couldn't have a BMW).

I think we will be taking a trip out to drive a Civic Si. +1 will also take a look at the Subaru WRX. I have to look into getting Driver into Ontario. Our son bought his XB from Ohio and it was a lot of work to get it into Ontario but saved him some $6,000 so worth it.

When we were first asked I suggested a hard top and snow tires for Tachus. NO Way, absolutely no way we were going to do that to Tachus!

I'm off to Toronto for the weekend but will let you know what we finally decided, when we do. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus,Jul 26 2007, 10:13 AM

Our Passats have had none of the reported problems. Perhaps because they are German built. Yes, Lainey you are right our daughter knows the history, she likes the comfort and that's why she wants Driver.
Gotta love our kids. "Hey Mom, I need a car." "How about you sell me yours, and you can have the car payments again?" "I really like your car, Mom."

Again, good thing we love our kids.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

You're going to love the Si
Levi
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before jumping in the Civic, at least test drive the MazaSpeed 3. Lots of room, and the "zoom zoom" moniker definitely applies! I saw that one beat an S2000 around Launa Seca in a Motor Trend test.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the suggestion that you get a Smart Car, Consumer Reports says that it is the worst car that they have ever tested. When I was looking for snow tires for my car, and was checking out tests on line, I came across one that showed how various cars performed in the snow. The worst two were the Smart Car and the Dodge Magnum. This should be a consideration if you are in Toronto.

The Fit is a car that I have considered, and most car testing magazines rate it highly for performance and reliability. Also well regarded are the Mazda 3 and the Nissan Sentra, which has a bit more power than other cars in its class (discounting the Mazdaspeed 3). You might want to take a look at the VW Rabbit too, although reliability of this is a bit below its Japanese competitors, according to Consumer Reports, who bases this on the responses of tens of thousands of its subscribers' reports. And in Canada, you get a rebate if you buy a Yaris, although I'm not really that impressed by the Yaris otherwise.

Personally, I was amazed by the Fit -- particularly as it is the only car I've been in that seems to be bigger inside than outside!

Zeiss
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 5,096 Likes on 3,073 Posts

This would not lure me but just for your info.......

The Chrysler group will offer a lifetime full-powertrain warranty on all 2006, 2007 and 2008 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles delivered starting today.

Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda described the program to dealers during a morning conference call.

Chrysler will continue to cover the rest of the vehicle with its three-year, 36,000-mile basic limited warranty. Vehicles with diesel engines and SRT packages are excluded.
Many Chrysler dealers had requested an expanded warranty, saying it would help them compete with offers such as General Motors' 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.
The warranty offer comes as Chrysler prepares to become an independent U.S. automaker owned by the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jul 26 2007, 12:27 PM
This would not lure me but just for your info.......

The Chrysler group will offer a lifetime full-powertrain warranty on all 2006, 2007 and 2008 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles delivered starting today.
This could lure me...

Old 07-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 26 2007, 01:09 PM
This could lure me...

Doug, he's just trying to get out of a dip in his garage floor
Old 07-27-2007, 04:56 AM

^ Good one Jerry

I have to confess, the 5.6 V8 in the Titan has made me really mad I never owned a V8 back in the days when gas was 50

Quick Reply: Which car to buy?