S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Celebrities...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 225 Likes on 168 Posts

Some years back I literally ran in to Charles Bronson at the Kentucky Derby. I was down in the paddock and the cops were making a path through the crowd. I assumed they were throwing someone out. As the cops passed I stepped back to where I had been standing and... WHAM! I bounced straight off of Charles Bronson (apparently they had been making a path for him). We collided pretty solidly and I said "Oh, geez, I'm sorry." Charles patted me on the side and said "that's OK buddy, no harm done".

He was in his 70s at the time and while pretty big, was really pretty solid. He also had the most intense eyes.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My two best:

I was at a party at Harvard in '04 (up there for a sailing regatta) and a friend dared me to go hit on a girl across the room. I introduced myself, we talked for a few, she said her name was Natalie, etc. Eventually, her friend came over, and I excused myself. I went back to my friend, who was freaking out, saying "do you know who that was??" I said yeah, her name's Natalie, she goes to school here. He says, yeah, Natalie PORTMAN. I still had no idea who she is still (Star Wars episode 1 had just come out), but he explains it and I realize he's right. Anyways, later in the night, she goes to leave, he runs up to her and starts saying her name, she rolls her eyes, then looks at me and says "Bye Chris, keep in touch."

Second one isn't me, it was my father in law. He was using a urinal in a bathroom at O'Hare, and a guy comes up next to him; it's Mike Ditka. My FIL LOVES the guy, so he finishes, washes his hands, and waits for Iron Mike to finish. Mike finishes and heads out the door, my FIL goes to shake his hand, then realizes, Ditka didn't wash HIS hands. FIL pulls his hand back, quickly walks the other way.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 5,231 Likes on 3,129 Posts

There's a limit to his love, ah.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man.. I have met quite a few celebs.. mostly from my days in the club industry in Chicago.

Typically, the athletes are usually the nicest. Shaq is a nice guy. (same with Jordan) Dennis Rodman was a little bit of a freak. (but we could have all guessed that). Most Hockey players are pretty down to earth guys, as are most baseball players.

Singers are typically all divas. Mariah Carey and her "people" were probably the worst. Up close and in person, Brittany Spears is not that good looking, but Christina Aguilera is. Jennifer Love Hewitt is tiny! I mean TINY!

Had a little issue with one of the members of NSYNC. If you want to know about it, PM me. Its an interesting story.

Met tons of other celebs. but those are for another day.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was nearly run over by Paul Newman and Mario Andretti in a golf cart in the pits at Mid-Ohio one year. I guess thay can only drive well if they're going over 100. And I'm not sure but I think they may have been fighting over the wheel at the time .

Being from a ridiculously small town, "celebrity" is a relative term for me. I've met Shawn McEchren and Jay Cauffield, both Pittsburgh Penguins at the time and in my eyes a pretty big deal. And I passed Franco Harris on the PA turnpike once, waving like a schoolgirl. He wasn't impressed.

And most recently, at a NHRA race in Reading, PA, a group of friends and I lured John Force (Funny Car Driver and the winningest NHRA driver of all time) over to our table by buying him a beer. He hung out with us all night and was just a blast. Later that same weekend we ended up drinking and having a burn-out contest in the hotel parking lot with Jeg and Troy Coughlin, also drivers (Pro Stock). Misty talked Troy right out of the shirt he was wearing. She's such a flirt.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruined 2,Nov 27 2007, 03:29 PM
a group of friends and I lured John Force (Funny Car Driver and the winningest NHRA driver of all time) over to our table by buying him a beer. He hung out with us all night and was just a blast.
Yeah, but were his daughters with him??
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does living with one count?

I know all the Barney bunch, my son was on the show for 5 seasons. They had lots of celebs as guests or would stop by because their kids loved the show.

My son also played on Broadway, did a movie, was on the Merv Griffin show and was the cohost to anther kids show, Mark's Web World. He got tired of it and is now a chef for the Ritz Carlton in Palm Beach.

I sat and talked with John Travolta and his wife for a long while one day and we swapped "kids in school" stories. I only found out later that the lovely lady with him was Kelly Preston.

I have met and talked with 4 sitting Presidents. Only one made me uncomfortable and that one made me feel dirty enough that I literally went out and washed my hands afterward.

I don't even count sports figures. Emmett Smith, Troy Ackman (or how ever you spell it), Tony somebody who was a Heismann trophy winner and played for the Cowboys, Roger Staubach, etc., etc., etc. Too many other prof atheletes to count.

I went to the bathroom with, but that's another story.......
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I was on a tour in France with the old guy that played a law professor on Paper Chase, can't remember his name. Never spoke. (name, anybody?)
But the funny one happened to my nephew who, at the time, was a bigwig for a major chain in the hotel industry. He was at a party where Jack Nicholson (the actor, not the golfer) was. He saw Jack and said hello to him. He got a strange look back from Jack, who then said in a nasty voice "Who the #### are you?". My nephew just smiled and walked away.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bump into politicians quite a bit, mostly work related. I attended a lunch where Clinton sat 2 tables over from me when he was Prez. At the same event, Ted Kennedy was at the next table. Knew Mike & Kitty Dukakis on a first name basis. Had dinner one night with former Senator Paul Tsongas when he was running for President. Met Madeleine Albright many, many times before she entered government.

Last year I attended 2 small events that Kennedy was at, and was invited to ride with him from one to the other. No, he wasn't driving.

And finally, I was at a non-profit dinner in Boston and ran into Big Pussy from the Sopranos at the bar so I bought him a drink. Next trip to the bar I glanced at the guy on my left that I was shoulder to shoulder with and it was Steven Tyler from Aerosmith. When I looked the other way I realized I was standing between him and Joe Perry from his band. We chatted a bit waiting for our drinks. No alcohol for either of them.

Quick Reply: Celebrities...