S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cell Phone Holder

Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell Phone Holder

It's rare that I get gobsmacked by a gadget, especially something related to cell phones (a device I despise and have only by dire necessity).

I have one of the cheapy Sprint Samsung fliptop cell phones, and when we signed up this summer I bought a belt clip (cheap d*mmed $25 piece of cr*p) which promptly broke after about a month of use. Since then I've been keeping it in my pants pocket, which is a pain to deal with.

In addition, the only place I could think of for it in the S was in the little open tub behind the cup holder, where it fit quite nicely.

Now that the belt clip broke, I searched online for an alternative. What I came up with is something called Rivet. It's a little pin on a plate that gets stuck with an adhesive pad to the back of the phone. A recepticle for the pin clips to an adhesive plate that you mount on the dash somewhere, or the recepticle clips to a beltloop hook; there are several other options like lanyard, chain, etc. The pin on the phone slides into a slot in the recepticle and securely locks in place. A release button on the recepticle allows the phone to drop into your hand.

Everything is made from aircraft-quality aluminum and stainless steel, and is almost jewelry-like in appearance. After testing several areas for fitment, I mounted the baseplate on the dash in the area to the right of the rear-defroster switch, behind the wiper control arm. It's at the bottom of the vertical face about 1/2 inch in from the right hand edge of that surface.

The phone just slips in and out, the wiper arm clears the phone nicely, and the defroster switch is easily accessible. Best of all the phone is nearly hidden from casual view, and you'd never know the baseplate is there if I didn't point it out.

The belt loop hook slips in a belt loop, and a second recepticle clicks onto the hook. The phone then slides into the recepticle slot, and when you want to remove the phone you press the release button and the phone drops into your hand.

Slicker than snot on teflon...

Go here for more information and to order:

Rivet

I have no interest whatsoever in this company, I'm simply an amazed and quite happy purchaser of the product.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:10 AM

Hey - that's pretty slick! Wish I'd known about that when I had my old phone. My new one is 3" tall by 2" wide and has a little leather pocket with a clip on the back that clips onto my pants, or when I'm driving with the top down and don't usually hear the phone ring, I clip it to the diagonal strap of my seat belt.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:08 AM

Hey TC, who is that made by. I swear I just picked up a patent to proofread on this very device. The timing on this is weird and uncanny, funny that you should post about it.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Sep 10 2004, 08:08 AM
Hey TC, who is that made by. I swear I just picked up a patent to proofread on this very device. The timing on this is weird and uncanny, funny that you should post about it.
Hi Angela

The company is called Rivet, I believe they are based in Australia. You can get to them via the link I posted above.

HTH