S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

China Surpasses USA

Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default China Surpasses USA

The front page of the Wall Street Journal marked this historic event. China has surpassed the US in the consumption of energy. this was due in small part to a drop in consumption by the US, attributed to the economic down turn. Apparently, the down turn had little impact on China's consumption. With a population in excess of 1B people, I think China has a long way yet to go before they hit the top of their power consumption potential.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Especially if they keep buying those Buicks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

It is my understanding that China has a national initiative to develop green energy.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 AM

My guess is it will develop geen energy while continuing its increase in the use of fossil fuels. What does China have, something like five times our population? Even if only one third the country reaches some level of affluence sufficient to afford a car, I think you will easily see them using twice as much fuel as the US in about five years. Keep in mind that they have tremendous heavy industry that is fossil fuel dependant.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zippy,Jul 21 2010, 04:03 AM
It is my understanding that China has a national initiative to develop green energy.
China has a very aggressive stance in green energy. They are pursuiung energy energy production on all fronts - both conventional and alternative. At one point, pulverized coal fired boiler to produce electricity were being commissioned at the rate of one a week for about 3 years. That is a tremendous amount of energy production.

They want to be the world's leader in solar cell manufacturing and also wind turbine manufacturing. Many of the mainstream solar cell companies make their solar cells in China (First Solar being one). Most of the development of new solar cells is being doine here in the US, but my guess is that once the cells are developed, they would be manufactured in China. Solar cells are much like computer chips, as a matter of fact, the companies that make computer chip manufacturing machnes also make solar cell manufacturing machines. Chinese companies certrainly know how to make computer chips.

In gasification, both biomass and coal, there are only two countries in the world where new gasifiers are being built - China and India.

I don't know that they are doing anything about algae, but it would not surprise me.

Oh, and those Buicks, they have 1.5 - 2.3 liter engines and most have manual transmissions. When I was there, it amazed me the way they drive them. They would be in 5th gear by the time they are doing 30 mph. The poor engines in those cars are lugged so badly, the cars buck every time they have to cliimb a hill or even speed up slightly.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by silvershadow,Jul 21 2010, 09:26 AM
China has a very aggressive stance in green energy. They are pursuiung energy energy production on all fronts - both conventional and alternative. At one point, pulverized coal fired boiler to produce electricity were being commissioned at the rate of one a week for about 3 years. That is a tremendous amount of energy production.

They want to be the world's leader in solar cell manufacturing and also wind turbine manufacturing. Many of the mainstream solar cell companies make their solar cells in China (First Solar being one). Most of the development of new solar cells is being doine here in the US, but my guess is that once the cells are developed, they would be manufactured in China. Solar cells are much like computer chips, as a matter of fact, the companies that make computer chip manufacturing machnes also make solar cell manufacturing machines. Chinese companies certrainly know how to make computer chips.

In gasification, both biomass and coal, there are only two countries in the world where new gasifiers are being built - China and India.

I don't know that they are doing anything about algae, but it would not surprise me.

Oh, and those Buicks, they have 1.5 - 2.3 liter engines and most have manual transmissions. When I was there, it amazed me the way they drive them. They would be in 5th gear by the time they are doing 30 mph. The poor engines in those cars are lugged so badly, the cars buck every time they have to cliimb a hill or even speed up slightly.
More terrible news, but thanks for sharing. This tells me that the "green energy path to economic recovery" is yet another hoax. Until we find something that we can manufacture here in the US we are just kidding ourselves. Give the Chinese the design to manufacture and before you know it there are two other companies making and selling your design with some slight difference to avoid liability.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 21 2010, 06:42 AM
This tells me that the "green energy path to economic recovery" is yet another hoax.
Please explain why you think it is a hoax. I think the Chinese government is counting on this strategy (i.e., green energy as a path to economic advancement) to work for them.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

[QUOTE=WhiteS2k,Jul 21 2010, 10:41 AM] Please explain why you think it is a hoax.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jul 21 2010, 10:41 AM
Please explain why you think it is a hoax. I think the Chinese government is counting on this strategy (i.e., green energy as a path to economic advancement) to work for them.
You misunderstood my comment, which was admittedly vague to avoid sending this thread to the politics forum. I was talking about our country and the recent mantra from our leaders that we (the USA) need the many jobs that will be created by the development of alternative energy. The above posts tell me that those "many jobs" will be in China.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Jul 21 2010, 12:52 PM
Its a hoax because with close to 1/5th of China's population, we do not need Green Energy. China has a higher population and needs green tech to offset the burden on fossil fuel consumption. Besides oil & gas are from the earth's core so they are organic and therefore green. Drill baby, drill

If development happens here and production is shifted overseas, how will Green initiatives ever contribute to boosting employment and industrial growth here. These green startups will eventually grow profitable, go for an IPO and have the very rich invest in them. The very rich will want increased value year upon year. Once you can't grow in terms of market share, you can increase profit (value) by cutting costs. So these companies will shift production to China & India and put people on welfare, so we are back to square one (which is basically what the green initiative was intended to relieve). Therefore it is a hoax.

Plain tongue in cheek guys. Take no offense. You can see I've been reading too much freakonomics
Those jobs will never be here in the first place. I'm betting it will go straight from prototype to Chinese production. At best there may be a pilot plant here to figure out how to engineer the best production, but the real mass production will go straight off shore. We will create some jobs in the area of installation and maintenance, but the real money will be in manufacturing and we won't see it. Once the off shore companies have it, they will reverse engineer it and start designing their own. Heck, they may already be designing better solar cells and wind turbines than us anyway.

Quick Reply: China Surpasses USA