S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

China Surpasses USA

Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Bill is right. Creating jobs means that we need to focus on labor intensive industries. Work that can be accomplished by automation will not require as much human capital.

Green technology may not create as many manufacturing jobs, but there will be jobs in installation and green engineering the current infrastructure. That however may not solve the malaise of current unemployment.

Silicon valley has several companies that do cutting edge research, but when it comes to manufacturing, they are forced (sometimes) to relocate overseas due to cost considerations. Apple designs great products but does not manufacture any of them. Foxconn does the work of manufacturing.

Taiwan was the same way with computer equipment. Today they have forged ahead and Lenovo is one example of that.

Which all leads to the question, how do we create employment for the masses?

- Spend more on education
- Protective policies for domestic industries plus higher tariffs on imports
- Develop grass roots business ventures that can create and sustain employment.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2,Jul 21 2010, 02:00 PM
- Spend more on education
- Protective policies for domestic industries plus higher tariffs on imports
- Develop grass roots business ventures that can create and sustain employment.
Education for what subject? There are more honors students graduating from schools in India every year than we have students. What can we teach our people that other countries cannot also teach to their people? If we create an army of engineers, accountants and economists, they can create five armies.

IMHO, the real blame for the economic meltdown is the loss of manufacturing in this country, which caused people to "invent" new businesses and investments. Mortgage based securities and credit default swaps were created by business school graduates with nothing better to work on. They added no value at all. The products just pretended to free up money to use for more bad loans. It really is mind boggleing. Thousands of our highly educated workers doing nothing but loaning and re-loaning money to one another and and calling it work.

Protective policies? We are told that won't work, and it may now be too late to try to institute them. Maybe they can be instituted on new products, I just don't know.

Grass root business ventrues can be no more successful than their cost model. We cannot compete with off shore manufacturers that can pay for overseas shipping and still sell the product here for half the price.

It really does look bad for us. Maybe we can turn the entire country into Disney Land and just make money on foreign tourists who are interested in seeing America. Maybe we can militarize the entire country and become international guns for hire.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ There has to be a way out. The future does indeed seem bleak, but the cost of doing nothing may mean a sure-fire bleak future.

Agriculture typically is a labor intensive task in most (developing) countries. Industrialization took away labor from agriculture but replaced labor with machines. Developing nations have the human resources for both agriculture and manufacturing, so you are right. They will always be competitive.

Sometimes I see the rationale behind people's decision to advocate "buy local", in that they want to encourage local businesses. But that has never really caught on. Maglite and WeatherTech are two companies that have strived to keep manufacturing within these states, but can all businesses afford to do that. If everyone did it, would they all be able to survive?

OTOH we have the issues of high costs of running a business. Tax breaks and incentives for businesses perhaps in an indirect manner may be of help. But what kind and will these really benefit a business much more than the reduced cost of manufacturing overseas.

I see health care as a huge expense. It is a drain for businesses as well as people with constantly increasing premiums. State provided health care has its own pitfalls, but it could prove to be one way of reducing overheads for businesses here.

A relatively lower sales tax on American made products could also help drum up manufacturing here. Tourism is at best a supplement to national income, and it would not b advisable to depend on it. Dubai has been trying to this for a while by becoming a financial nerve center as they lack oil resources. Sadly when the crisis hit, the money ran away as did the tourists.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Also Unions make it harder for businesses to work. Politicians love them because of the votes they bring, but IMO Unions are well past their due date. They add another level of bureaucracy between management and line workers, which is not required as most companies today have a flatter management structure.

See this story about Harley Davidson
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/20...aukees-dim/?hpw
Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would seem to me there needs to be incentives for companies that invest in plants and labor onshore and heavy disincentives for those who don't.

I would also favor a national sales tax of 1 to 2 percent to broaden the base.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19,Jul 21 2010, 02:16 PM
It would seem to me there needs to be incentives for companies that invest in plants and labor onshore and heavy disincentives for those who don't.

I would also favor a national sales tax of 1 to 2 percent to broaden the base.
Don't worry Mike, there will be plenty of taxes coming down the pike.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Jul 21 2010, 06:22 PM
Don't worry Mike, there will be plenty of taxes coming down the pike.
I suspect you're correct. I just wish they don't turn out to be the wrong ones for economic growth.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I've been banging the same drum for a while about green energy.
one of my posts
Originally Posted by Boltonblue, Feb 13 2008, 10:38 PM
i hate to say it but oil is about to get real expensive and of course gasoline is a byproduct of oil. the US imports 400 to 425 million barrels of oil a MONTH. of course the US is an industrialized nation with ~300 milllion people. that's around 1.5 barrels per person per month. now let's look at China and India which are evolving from agrarian economies to industrial economies. this will take 10 to 15 years to complete this transition. China has ~2 billion people. India 1.6 Billion. assuming the metric of 1.5 barrels per person per month. that would be a staggering 3 billion barrels a month eek3.gif and that is just for China. throw in another 2.1 Billion barrels for India. obviously taken to this extreme this doesn't work but even at half that rate that's a billion barrels of oil a month and that doesn't even count the US consumption. assuming that the law of supply and demand still applies, it would not be surprising to see oil at 500 or 600 dollars a barrel. that would put gas at the pump at numbers approaching $15- $20 hmmm i don't think I can afford a buck a mile toys.
it's not just about the price of oil and economic recovery.
it's a strategic resource.
if you think we can't compete with china on price now, what happens when they're using solar/wind/ nuke/etc for cheap power and we're still running on good ol dino juice for power.

yeah yeah yeah, you can debate that solar isn't cheap etc, but that is based on todays energy model.
That model is already collapsing.

and local solar company, Evergreen Technologies, after sucking up state/fed money for it's infancy, moved manufacturing to china.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19,Jul 20 2010, 03:58 PM
Especially if they keep buying those Buicks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Jul 21 2010, 07:22 PM
I've been banging the same drum for a while about green energy.
one of my posts

it's not just about the price of oil and economic recovery.
it's a strategic resource.
if you think we can't compete with china on price now, what happens when they're using solar/wind/ nuke/etc for cheap power and we're still running on good ol dino juice for power.

yeah yeah yeah, you can debate that solar isn't cheap etc, but that is based on todays energy model.
That model is already collapsing.

and local solar company, Evergreen Technologies, after sucking up state/fed money for it's infancy, moved manufacturing to china.
Sort of dovetails with my post above huh.

We've got lots of wind and sun here.

Quick Reply: China Surpasses USA