S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Christmas Wish List

Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 5,096 Likes on 3,073 Posts
Default Christmas Wish List

Santa been good to me already since I already have #1 and #4 on this list:

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alia...topDefault.aspx

But since it's a wish list I can think of two more:

(1) Cobra Daytona Coupe (even a replica)

(2) Aston Martin V-8 Vantage (the baby Aston......... would be more than enough)

Merry Christmas All, what's on your list?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

A small island with lighthouse off the coast of Maine would be nice in the summer ; maybe a place in New Mexico for the winter
Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 469 Likes on 278 Posts

I think that I will wish for a winning Mega Millions lottery ticket, then comes the Class A motor home with the enclosed race trailer to haul the S behind it. The former helps ensure that the price of diesel fuel will not matter much.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping for a pair of Magnepan 3.6R speakers this year. I had been hoping for a while for the BRP supercharger kit, but it's not going make production in time. Whatever I end up getting for Xmas, I'll still be happy that I didn't get a lump of coal.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 3,866 Likes on 3,063 Posts

There is something that I say every year I am going to get for myself every Christmas but I never do and it is a paperweight. Yes a paperweight. It is however not just a regular paperweight it is a model of a Ferrari gated shifter paperweight. I will have to try to pick it this year.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 469 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Dec 17 2005, 05:28 PM
I'm hoping for a pair of Magnepan 3.6R speakers this year. I had been hoping for a while for the BRP supercharger kit, but it's not going make production in time. Whatever I end up getting for Xmas, I'll still be happy that I didn't get a lump of coal.
Dean,

You must be a true audiophile. I have not heard anyone mention these speakers for years. But, I can only imagine with the strides in speaker technology in the last score these must be brilliant now. My only first hand experience with a pair of "Mangeplaner's" was about a score ago when the concept of an "Air Motion Transformer" (AMT) was very novel. Back in the days before CD's. I took a half speed (16 2/3 RPM) direct disc virgin "master" of the Cincinnati Symphony performing the 1812 Overture with cannons over to a friends house that had a pair hooked to a 450 Watt tuner (per channel) (big gun for those days) with a THD rate of .001.

My first reaction was how "brilliant" the sound was! The horns and the strings were magnificent. But the cannons where a disappointment. So, we hopped in my van and loaded my Canon 1230-T tower speakers in and hooked them up along with the AMT's. We turned the three way cross over adjustment down to the 15" woofer away from the mid-range and horn tweeters of my Canon's.

The result was unbelievable sound with the Mangeplaner's handling the mid to high range and my Canon's handling the low including the cannons. The result gave me "goosebumps" right up until the crescendo when the cannon fire blew the speaker covers of my Canon's right off their mounting pins on to the floor.

If you were a good boy this year and you get your wish, what are you planning to drive them with?

Old 12-18-2005, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Dec 18 2005, 12:41 AM
Dean,

You must be a true audiophile. I have not heard anyone mention these speakers for years. But, I can only imagine with the strides in speaker technology in the last score these must be brilliant now.

If you were a good boy this year and you get your wish, what are you planning to drive them with?
Me, a true audiophile? To show you how much I know about the subject, I thought an audiophile was someone who enjoys having sex with dead speakers. This is a fairly new hobby for me, and it's even more confusing to me than picking a cell phone. I currently have the Magnepan 1.6QRs, CC3s, and MC1s. I first heard the 3.6Rs at a an audio shop about eight months ago, and fell in love with them. I listened to a remastered multichannel version of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and I was sold on the speakers.
The lack of bass is less of an issue with the larger Maggies now, but I've also built four custom eighteen inch subwoofer drivers into the ceiling between my two front speakers in what is called an "infinite baffle" subwoofer - the open space of the attic serves as the baffle (as opposed to a box with limited space like commercial subwoofers) handles the back wave of the drivers. It blends with the Maggies perfectly, so I'm totally unable to tell where the sound is coming from.

For powering the new speakers, I have a stack of seven 300W/channel monoblock amps. I may use four of those to bi-amp the 3.6s for the time being until my birthday rolls around. I'm hoping for a custom made, 400W/channel, five channel amp for my birthday. There'll be a lot of butt-kissing and whining required on my part to get it, I'm sure.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:07 AM

Received 5,096 Likes on 3,073 Posts

It sounds like my Pioneer SX-737 receiver with a booming 35 watts per channel, Thorens turntable and tiny Infiity speakers may be showing their age. I guess so, the system will be 30 years old next month!!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Dec 18 2005, 12:07 PM
It sounds like my Pioneer SX-737 receiver with a booming 35 watts per channel, Thorens turntable and tiny Infiity speakers may be showing their age. I guess so, the system will be 30 years old next month!!
You're better off, Dave. Once you start getting into this stuff, it's like a disease. My wife and family will probably hold an intervention for me, and I'll have to join some twelve step program at some point.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 3,072 Likes on 1,698 Posts

I had two things on my wish list. One was a matching necklace and earrings, and the other was some upgrade on my '05 S2000 stereo. I was in the store with the jewelry and it's gone. Think I'm getting it. My birthday is at the end of January, so what I don't get for Christmas, I can ask for for my birthday.

Quick Reply: Christmas Wish List