S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Computer lingo...what does this mean?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Default Computer lingo...what does this mean?

I got this message in an email from Verizon. I have no clue as to what it means. I only use their website to access email. Can one of you knowledgeable computer people clue me in? Thanks!!

As a result of this ongoing effort, Verizon Online is making modifications to the Internet access provided to you. These modifications will occur on August 21, 2011. For security reasons, Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers.

Verizon recommends that current FTP users download their files prior to August 21, 2011 to prevent any data loss.

If you still wish to have a Verizon website, please go to our site builder tool available with Personal Webspace which can be found under My Services in My Verizon at:
Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I got this message in an email from Verizon. I have no clue as to what it means. I only use their website to access email. Can one of you knowledgeable computer people clue me in? Thanks!!

As a result of this ongoing effort, Verizon Online is making modifications to the Internet access provided to you. These modifications will occur on August 21, 2011. For security reasons, Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers.

Verizon recommends that current FTP users download their files prior to August 21, 2011 to prevent any data loss.

If you still wish to have a Verizon website, please go to our site builder tool available with Personal Webspace which can be found under My Services in My Verizon at:
FTP = File Transfer Protocol
HTML = Hyper Text Markup Language

The former is a means to upload files from one's PC to their server.
The latter is Hyper Text Markup Language which is what allows "links" to other sites or sources of information on the web either from a site or when embedded in an E-mail or other document.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM

OK... I don't think that affects me when I use their online email site.....guess I'll wait and see.

Thanks, Matt.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a personal website with them (like, are you holding out on us about lainey.verizon.com ?). If not, this probably doesn't affect you.

I have web sites with my internet service provider (a small outfit in Santa Fe whom we started with when we lived there [and I had my S]). The way I update it is to FTP new HTML files to the site, which has an address on the ISP's overall domain (which is cybermesa.com).

Verizon is saying it won't allow this any more. It's probably some kind of security risk, by their way of thinking about such things. HPH
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above posts are correct. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need to worry. Your email will NOT be affected
Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Thanks, folks. No Dr. C, I'm not holding out. There is no lainey.com website.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I think it means that all Lainey's emails will be sent to Nigeria and shared with everyone there, and you must travel there and exchange 4 chickens to get your privacy back. Too bad.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
I think it means that all Lainey's emails will be sent to Nigeria and shared with everyone there, and you must travel there and exchange 4 chickens to get your privacy back. Too bad.
As long as someone sends their bank account info and password with the email, I'll find a way to access it...........I may need some help from a computer savvy person though.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 1,411 Likes on 766 Posts

There is no lainey.com website.
Au contraire, my dear. Check this out: lainey.com
Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1311209088' post='20799288
There is no lainey.com website.
Au contraire, my dear. Check this out: lainey.com

I'm very talented, or that person stole my name.

Quick Reply: Computer lingo...what does this mean?