S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Deer

Old 04-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Deer

Somewhere in the woods of Morris Plains, New Jersey there are three deer who tonight owe their lives to Honda 4 wheel disc brakes.

As a kid growing up in New York City I never saw any deer, but my folks would take us for a drive in the country every now and then and I'd see the "Deer Crossing" signs. I always wondered how the deer knew to cross at the signs. I wondered if the deer knew how to read. I still haven't figured it out, but I've finally come to realize that the deer really don't care. They'll cross anywhere they please. And that's just what happened tonight.

It's tax season and being the conscientious, hard working accountant that I am I've been in the office late every night, 7 days a week since January 15. By about 8:00 tonight I was having a great deal of difficulty keeping my eyes open, so I decided to leave. Not having had dinner yet, I felt rushed to get to Burger King before it closed. I was doing about 50 miles per hour, I probably should have been doing 35, when the three deer in this story decided to jump in front of my car. Luckily the brakes in my Si are as good as the brakes in my S, and even more luckily the gigantic SUV that had been tailgating me before was now a few hundred feet behind. So I slammed on the brakes, stopped a few feet from the deer and rang my horn.

The deer just stood there, looking at me as if to say, "Whats the matter with you, we were here first". After a few minutes they lost interest and galloped away. I put the Si in gear and continued home.

The deer in Northern New Jersey have really become a problem. Every spring and summer the roads around here are full of roadkill and Morris County simply doesn't have enough people to keep it under control.

Watchout, the deer are everywhere and they absolutely do not obey traffic rules.

Last edited by ralper; 04-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 AM

Received 3,518 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Rob, Rob, Rob, I am sure you've heard the term "deer in the headlights right?"

yeah we're in deer country, very rural but just enough housing density that there really aren't a lot of places to hunt.
Perfect for raising deer. So save for some coyotes, all of their predators have internal combustion engines.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Yesterday I was driving into Durango, and had just rounded a curve - when wallá - cars were stopped in both directions waiting for five deer to jump over the fence and finish their slow trek across the highway.

A small herd of deer live mostly on our property. We hear deer rifle fire frequently out here in the boonies. The locals keep themselves in camp meat year round. And still there is a large deer population that seems to be holding steady, in spite of the ‘internal combustion engines’, mountain lions, coyotes and other local predators. We do enjoy watching them shuffle along on the deer trail by our house at breakfast time. There are a couple of young bucks, several doe, and often some fawns in the group. Sometimes it is sad to see the effects of our human incursion into wild life spaces, but they don’t hesitate to intrude into village spaces either. And there seems to be quite a successful symbiotic coexistance, with occasional serious conflicts. Colorado drivers tend to be naturally on the lookout for deer, so that accidents are infrequent - at least in this area.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I have some up close and personal dashcam footage of a deer crossing a road about 2 feet in front f the S a few years ago on our drive to SF. I had to use steering input to avoid her ( we were that close)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Oh my dear !!!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 4,954 Likes on 3,004 Posts

I've told this story before but I hit a doe on the backside of our subdivision. I was in the MG with the top down and deer narrowly missed ending up in the passengers seat!
It did very limited damage to the car and I did all the repairs without doing a claim. My neighbor, who was a hunter, did the skinning, etc. and we shared the meat.

Then in the same year I was at Watkins Glen showing a buddy the old track around the city in the MG. Out of no where a herd jumped out in a woody section - way too close of a call but I avoided hitting any.

I'm sure almost everyone has deer stories. They were much worse when I lived in PA. However, there is one town north of us that we go to for pizza and I doubt I've driven there without seeing one or many.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

No deer down here, OK - not true. But I've never seen one on the highway down here. When I visit family in Delaware I am always on full alert when driving at night.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 4,954 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
No deer down here, OK - not true. But I've never seen one on the highway down here. When I visit family in Delaware I am always on full alert when driving at night.
Since its Friday the 13th. You need to watch out for black cats.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Since its Friday the 13th. You need to watch out for black cats.
Or black deers...
Old 04-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

We are over run with them here. Forget taking the back roads at night. They have extended the hunting season to hopefully kill more of them.

Quick Reply: Deer