S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Discussion on Good Movies

Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
The +1 & I were going to go see the Lone Ranger, but we waited too long and it isn't playing anywhere near us anymore. Anybody see it? Reviews?

Yes, I saw it and enjoyed it although it did not get good reviews. It wasn't a serious movie at all and Johnny Depp stole the show. I just think he likes to get into those bizarre costumes and play eccentric parts. Waiting for it to show up on Netfix is probably the best thing to do at this point.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 611 Likes on 374 Posts

SF is not normally a favorite genre for me, but I finally watched the movie Hunger Games on Netflix with my daughter last night. She had seen it, but I hadn't before. (Chris was out of town on business.) I agree that without the book, the movie is a bit slow getting started in the beginning. It was suspenseful, though, and I liked the way the spectators (Greek Chorus ) were (obnoxiously) involved through out the movie. Jennifer Lawrence has a beautiful deadpan expression, so that when she does smile you experience a sudden emotional shift!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM

I watched "Django Unchained" the other night. I thought it was one of Tarantino's best. Nearly up there with "Pulp Fiction".
Old 07-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 5,028 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Originally Posted by dean
I watched "Django Unchained" the other night. I thought it was one of Tarantino's best. Nearly up there with "Pulp Fiction".
I have not 'bellied up' to watch that one...... something told me it wasn't a remake of West Side Story.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I didn't care for Pulp Fiction. Haven't seen any movies that are noteworthy lately. I guess I need to check out what's available on demand. Can't seem to get +1 out to the theatre.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by dean' timestamp='1375217430' post='22696566
I have not 'bellied up' to watch that one...... something told me it wasn't a remake of West Side Story.
It wasn't. I will say this, if the portrayal of the conditions of slavery in the movie bear even the tiniest resemblance to the realities of slavery I cannot begin to describe the level of disgust I felt. And I've witnessed through my own eyes far too many examples of what people are capable of doing to one another.That said, I still highly recommend the movie.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by valentine
I didn't care for Pulp Fiction. Haven't seen any movies that are noteworthy lately. I guess I need to check out what's available on demand. Can't seem to get +1 out to the theatre.
Nothing wrong with getting yourself a big screen TV, a BluRay player, and a Netflix subscription. That's how Rori and I watch movies most of the time, unless it's some big "blockbuster" that should be seen on a large screen. And, if you use it enough, a Netflix subscription in a lot cheaper that watching movies "On Demand".
Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

^^ We have two big screens (we have two in order to keep peace in the family ) . We do not watch a lot of movies and only get one on demand if its something we REALLY want to watch. I've probably only paid a couple of times in the past three years to watch something. We DO, however have movies on demand that is part of our subscription and occasionally we watch something that way. I had Netflix for years and it just didn't pay off since we didn't use it often. I have an Amazon Prime subscription as well, but there again, the free movies are wasted on us. We LOVE Homeland Security (on Showtime) and are looking forward to its new season. What would Carrie do? I guess it should be of a little concern to me that I relate so much to Carrie since she's bipolar.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Just watched "42"..........

Thought it was a good movie....

Made me think about how times have changed, how we see people....

I'd recommend watching this one....
Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I borrowed two old movies from the library (sorry, no cinema noir this time):

The Longest Day-One of my favorite war movies and one of the best ever made in my opinion. I never get tired of this movie.

The Guns of Navarone-Best part of the movie is that Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn are in it. Not a great movie. A bit contrived and predictable, but with a great cast. Worth watching. Not nearly so good as The Longest Day.

Quick Reply: Discussion on Good Movies