S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

DIY Satisfaction

Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts
Default DIY Satisfaction

Nothing makes me smile more than if a "Do It Yourself" plan comes together. I mentioned in another thread I just bought a new Stihl weed wacker. I gave up on my 14 year old TroyBilt, which I’ve always consider crap do to its weight and running issues. Two years ago I paid $30 to have a shop do a complete tune-up. Still unhappy with it, I took it back but no improvement. I started experimenting with various settings but it keep stalling out on me at full throttle; so I gave up.

After buying the new one I had nothing to loose so I totally dismantled the TroyBilt carb inside and out without having anything to go by, even with a spring and needle flying, I cleaned it all with carb cleaner, and guessed how it was before, and reset the adjustments to what I thought was a likely starting point. I seriously doubted that I’d made any improvement because the carb looked spotless to start with. And I didn’t. Although it turned over it still didn’t want to start. So, I’m thinking the engine is shot.

But, still determined, I did more searching on You Tube. Found a video of an old timer talking about not being able to shut off his TroyBilt. I should have that problem! He explained how the always-open kill switch might just have dirty contacts. He completely dismantled the kill switch, running continuity tests, etc. and ended up shooting it with WD-40. So I thought, what have I got to loose?

I shot the heck out of the kill switch with WD-40 without dismantling it and, OMG, it’s running like brand new! Which is great; even if it weighs twice as much as my new one, it will get used some because of its got a head that can cut trees (well, almost). Sure beats having to leave it out for the g-man.

Got any good DIY stories to tell?

Last edited by dlq04; 05-23-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 762 Posts

Great story, Dave. I’ve nothing new that comes close to that. I now tend to let the “experts” handle those kinds of things.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Sure dave,
a few back I had viewsonic 32 inch LCD tv.
It crapped out and I replaced it.
But before electronics recycling time came back around I did a little googling for the TV.
I quickly found that they used a common chinese power supply that had bad capacitors.
Lo and behold I pulled it apart and there it was.
A quick order from the electronics distributor of a few caps and a diode and Voila!! Worked like new.
I gave it to my mom who was delighted. She still uses it.
The replacement didn't fair as well since my son tripped and put his hand through the screen.
no quick remedies for that one.

i'm prouder of my Jerry rigs though.
A coworkers car died and he couldn't get it running.
It would start on a jump but as soon as you pulled the jumper cables off it would die instantly.
A quick inspection found his ground terminal cable was totally broken.
I recalled we had really beefy power straps on our supplies in one of older mainframe machines.
We dug one out of the scrap pile and replaced his cable with it.
" well that should at least get you home tonight until you can fix it"
Four years later he traded it in with the strap still in place.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

As far as using WD-40 to clean electronic items, a can of "electronic cleaner" is the way to go.

We took a lighting strike and lost a computer, fax machine and it turned out a nice washing machine. (Maytag Neptune) I removed the covers from the head unit and checked things out. Nada. I looked carefully at the circuit board and lo, there was a resister with a burn mark on it.
I unsoldered the thing, soldered in a replacement (radio shack was still in business) and she worked like a champ. Still going strong. I might add I have added surge protectors between ALL sensitive equipment, computers, and appliances to protect from future hits.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I use this, for electronics. Indoors and outdoors.

https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-DN5-Spray-NSN-6850-01-519-5548-solution/dp/B00529GE0O/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527129353&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+dn5 https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT-DN5-Spray-NSN-6850-01-519-5548-solution/dp/B00529GE0O/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527129353&sr=8-1&keywords=deoxit+dn5
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,987 Posts

Good stories, keep them coming.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I get my DIY satisfaction by doing a job myself instead of paying someone to do it. Most of the jobs are no big deal to men but not common for women. I don't enjoy cooking but do enjoy taking care of my cars' paint. I have done some part replacements on my ElliptiGO lately that I was proud of myself for accomplishing and that required specific tools for the job, that I bought. I've learned to really appreciate having the right tools.

I have changed four load wheels and four tracks on my two ElliptiGOs and recently installed a Shockstop. Just this week I bought the items I needed and changed the gear oil in my 11-speed hub. I was going crazy dropping a little screw dealy over and over as I tried to reinstall it in the hub between the tight 20" wheel spokes. I tried magnetizing the Allen wrench and plug, but it didn't work. I finally put some Working Hands cream on the plug and got the sucker in. I'm happy to pay to have my new tires installed but some things I want to do myself. I should add that ElliptiGO has some decent support videos showing how some things are done and they help. ElliptiGO's head mechanic is a young athletic woman, Keri, who we all adore (black shorts, blue T-shirt) and with her talking through the Youtube videos I think I've become more comfortable with trying to do stuff myself. When I was married my ex did it all. I'm getting a lot of satisfaction by depending on myself, instead.

Last edited by Kyras; 05-23-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:47 AM

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Cosmo's lightning story made me think back to another TV tale.

Back in the days of CRT TV's, we had a fish tank next to the TV.
A little splash while and oops ZOT!! the TV went black.
I opened it up and there was this nice black zorch where a copper trace used to be.
A little wire, a little solder. and voila!! ze picture is back.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,617 Posts

I got nothing! Enjoy reading about all your endeavors/projects. Patty, you rock with what you attempt on your own! I guess Rick's DIY gardening raising plants from seed is a real long term DIY project. He putters here and there with the cars and the house and other stuff. No real big projects though.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I got nothing! Enjoy reading about all your endeavors/projects. Patty, you rock with what you attempt on your own! I guess Rick's DIY gardening raising plants from seed is a real long term DIY project. He putters here and there with the cars and the house and other stuff. No real big projects though.

Quick Reply: DIY Satisfaction