S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you change your own oil?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm one of the used to do its. Disposal of the old oil got to be a hassle and I found a guy who does all the fluids in all our cars at a very reasonable price.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jun 3 2010, 06:15 AM
No, I don't, but I can add it if I need to! I'm sure you remember this pic from many moons ago. I used your funnel to do it (at Carmen's house in OH - 2004?).

I remember that! As a matter of fact I still have that funnel. Adam and I used it this past weekend. I still keep it in the trunk in a plastic ziploc bag.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Jun 3 2010, 07:35 AM
I'm one of the used to do its. Disposal of the old oil got to be a hassle and I found a guy who does all the fluids in all our cars at a very reasonable price.
I'm lucky in that respect. My township takes all of the used oil from the residents and together with the used oil from the muni vehicles, sells/gives it to a recycler. I don't know if they make any money on it, but at least I know that it's getting recycled.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah ..... I still change my oil [and all other fluids] although I was getting to the point [briefly...see below] where I was thinking of letting a shop do it.

When my van needed an oil change last month I took it to a local shop ....Big mistake....noticed oil spots on the driveway last night. Sure enough the drain plug is leaking slightly. Will put on the ramps today...make sure the idiots didn't crack the pan and will replace the plug crush gasket. That shop will NEVER touch any of my cars in the future.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still doing it myself. Every shop that I have tried in the past 15 years has stretched the threads on my drain plugs. Fortunately, all of our auto parts stores have oil recycle tanks and the county has an anti-freeze recycling tank.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I change all the fluids on my vehicles routinely, I also use Amsoil in all but one that is still working with break in dino. oil.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM

No, I don't change the oil on either of my vehicles, the S or the Highlander. Recently, I was lucky enough to have a club member with all the right tools and equipment do it for me as well as change all the other fluids called for in the 30K service. I will continue to take advantage of that until he suggests otherwise. I do reciprocate with small token of my appreciation.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by dean,Jun 3 2010, 06:07 AM
I used to change all the fluids in my car. I can't do it any more. There's a shop fairly close by that will change the oil for me (I supply the oil and filter) for ten dollars. And they recycle the old oil for me.

I haven't figured out quite what I'm going to do when it comes time to change the transmission and differential fluids, or when I finally get around to SC'ing the car.
That's not a bad deal. Would this same shop do the trans and diff fluid for you?

I seem to remember that you said that you used to work on your Jeeps. It must be hard not being able to tinker with the car. Are you still able to do all of the home renovation and home theatre work that you used to do?

I'd been away for a while, I didn't realize that your legs were in such bad shape.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I'll tackle oil, along with transmission and rear axle oil. Honda brand in the transmission and Almasol in the pumpkin. And I'll change brake pads and clean and refill the clutch fluid resivoir. I may tackle the brake fluid...it certainly needs it...but only if I buy a speed bleeder. Otherwise I'll let my son do that one.

I'm waiting for new valve retainers. Rob and I will swap them out on the car. Rob has some experience with this job...I'll be learning.

I'll take on other odds and ends on any of our beaters as needed. Of course I have a Helm manual for the S. Unfortunately I don't have so much as an owner's manual for the old Camry, nor can I find one on-line. Guess I'll break down and get a Chilton manual or similar for it. You have to pull the intake manifold to change the plugs on that ill-designed v6.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tof,Jun 3 2010, 05:41 PM
...I'm waiting for new valve retainers. Rob and I will swap them out on the car. Rob has some experience with this job...I'll be learning...
Still waiting? In a way that's good to know. Apparently they hold up pretty well even when they're damaged. Are you getting AP2 retainers?

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil?