S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Do you work to live or live to work?

Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Do you work to live or live to work?

Don't laugh. It's not as funny a question as it seems. For many of us, myself included, who were brought up with the old fashioned work ethic, work is a very important part of life. I know that part of how I see myself and define my life is through my work. I find myself working more hours than I should, pushing myself harder than I should, and wanting more work than I can handle. The only way I can explain this is by saying, "Its what I do".

Most of us in Vintage have a great deal of respect for the old time work ethic. I know that I do. Most of us think that the world would be better off if younger people had it as strongly as we do. I usually believe that yet sometimes I wonder if its really true. Maybe, for those of us who take our work so seriously, we'd be better off with a little less of the work ethic and a little more ability to shrug our shoulders and walk away once in a while.

Anyway, I'm curious about how you feel about this. And I'm curious, do you work to live, or live to work?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just love work, of any kind. I've been fortunate in that my career involves things I love doing, so it doen't often seem to be work. And the S2000 thing is work too, but it's also a blast. Part of the fun is the joy of working with people you admire and respect and who are enjoyable to be around. My wife thinks I'm nuts, since I neve sit still for more than a few minutes, but I'm having fun!
I'll be doing this til the day someone shovels sod over my head
Old 03-02-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Hesel
I just love work, of any kind. .....I'll be doing this til the day someone shovels sod over my head
Maybe I'll be *up* for a serious reply tomorrow, but right now I would like to share my image of Rick trying to avoid the inevitable (credit to Steve):

Rick at the Graveyard.....RIP????

Old 03-02-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live to work. I enjoy it & I figure that as long as I'm happy & the taxpayers are getting their money's worth out of me I might as well keep doing it.

--Mike
Old 03-02-2004, 08:00 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Both for me. No one job can meet all my needs and desires so I have to have hobbies and time to enjoy them. I wish I could turn my hobby into a profitable business, but I don't want to work at it that hard.

Also, as I get older, I could see me making a late in life profession change. But it may be more something you dream about, rather than do.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I once said in a job interview, "I work so I can afford to play" and I hold that philosophy to this day.

I've never been defined by my job. I pick jobs that I like to do, but at the end of the day the reason I draw a paycheck is so that I can turn around and enjoy the time in my life when I'm not in the office.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:03 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I know when I'm on vacation it is nice not having anything specific to do, and to be able to go/come as i please. However, I don't mind going to work when scheduled, I have a great bunch of co-workers.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:16 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Dum Vivamus Vivamus!
All else is secondary
Old 03-03-2004, 03:25 AM

I work to live. My job is probably the least difinitive part of my life I can imagine.
If someone asked me about myself, my job wouldn't even make the list. I work because I have to.

That isn't to say I don't work hard, because I do. But it just doesn't define me. Part of that is because my job isn't exactly something I love. But such is life for most people. Right now I feel lucky to be working at all with the way things are going.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:31 AM

Work or live under a bridge.

Quick Reply: Do you work to live or live to work?