S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

DOH !!! adventures in plumbing

Old 01-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel your pain.

Was driving to work one day, got about two miles from home, just about to hit the expressway on ramp, and felt a shimmy in the car. Knew instantly what the problem was. I had swapped out the autocross tires and wheels for the street set the previous evening. Yep, forgot to torque the lug nuts. Problem was, there was no wrench or jack in the car. (Don't want the extra weight when autocrossing..Doh!) Fortunately, all the lug nuts were still in place. I tightened them by hand...every half mile until I got back to the garage!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

What's the saying... By the grace of God we are all still around to tell the stories. And these all started with a little water leak!

Last edited by dlq04; 01-14-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 3,574 Likes on 2,415 Posts

For the record, testing the drain installation in the second sink was a lot less....interesting.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Reminds me of when I put in my sump pump.

Cut all the PVC pipe, glued the ones that I could do before installation, drilled the little hole in the pipe at the required angle (hahaha).....

Finished the installation and added water to get the pump to run, and water squirted out of the little drilled hole like a waterpic!!!

Had drilled the hole going the wrong way..... plugged the hole, re-drilled it the correct way, and everything was fine!

I hate plumbing work!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My only bad plumbing story concerned a leak in a copper pipe. I cut out the leaking section and then tried to solder in a a new section with couplers. But the piece of old pipe I was trying to solder on to ws so badly corroded that I could not get the solder to stick. I had to go without water for the day until the Home Quarters (remember them??) opened so I could buy some 10 foot lengths of new copper pipe. I had to tear out the suspended ceiling to get access to the old line, cut it out, and then solder in new lines. Learned a lot about soldering copper pipe...
Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I don't know. Around the house I'll do all kinds of construction and electrical work but I absolutely hate painting and plumbing. I've done some plumbing work like putting a water line into the garage, but I'm sure if I tackled anything more sophisticated there would be water damage in my house. I don't have any embarrassing plumbing stories. Not because I know what I'm doing (I don't) but because I refuse to do enough plumbing projects to make mistakes.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Rather frustratingly, the connection to the second sink cold faucet had a little slow leak, a single drip every 30 seconds or so.
It's a compression fitting so after retrying it 3 or 4 times with teflon tape etc.I committed an unnatural act and got positioned to the see the top of the joint.
Sure enough the fixture had a little *(&^% crack in it so it requires replacement.
of course it's in a cabinet with about two inches of pipe exposed on a joint that has to be sweat soildered.
of course it's about 2 inches from my nice new PVC drain and 4" from my new integral corian sinks.
and of course since it's a shut off valve, I have to shut off water to the whole house and drain the system so I can get it dry before I try to solder it.
should be fun. what could possibly go wrong.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 712 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I don't know. Around the house I'll do all kinds of construction and electrical work but I absolutely hate painting and plumbing. I've done some plumbing work like putting a water line into the garage, but I'm sure if I tackled anything more sophisticated there would be water damage in my house. I don't have any embarrassing plumbing stories. Not because I know what I'm doing (I don't) but because I refuse to do enough plumbing projects to make mistakes.
Ditto here on both issues.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I think this thread is funny. I love doing plumbing, electrical and for the most part any other home improvement (with the exception of painting). I have found as I get older it is a little harder to get in some of the tight spaces required to get the job done plus getting back up after doing the job is a painful experience.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Repair was actually only about 10 minutes.
Took longer to drain water system than to swap the valve.
Secret is good hot torch.

Quick Reply: DOH !!! adventures in plumbing