S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Downsized...

Old 02-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K
Old 02-05-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never believed that whole silver lining thing until.........in '96. Intel and I parted ways.

I always wanted to have the title of Engineer. So I went back to school. Got my degree in Computer Engineering and I can't put into words how much more happy I am now. When I was doing finance, I was never happy.

This might be a similar situation for you.......not necessarily the school thing.....but happier. Perhaps the small firm is that new happiness for you........but perhaps it is something else.

-Lee
Old 02-05-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by asu_lee
I never believed that whole silver lining thing until.........in '96. Intel and I parted ways.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

The bad news, there are 200 firms in Phily. The good news, there are 200 opportunities for an experienced paper shuffler. Good middle management skills are always in demand, in any field.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:01 PM

Here's another idea. Seems to me the small house is making a comeback. But it isn't the boxy little house of the 50's, it's the cozy empty nester house for people with some money to spend. I see more than a few architects making a living at this kind of thing here in the Pacific Northwest. Check out some of the Fine Homebuilding books on cottages and small houses to see what I'm talking about. Like George Costanza, I always wanted to be an architect.

So sorry about your layoff. I feel like I've been on the bubble for five years now and I've seen so many great people go out the door, it's just downright discouraging. The very best of luck to you.

Gary
Old 02-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Jerry, on one hand I'm sorry to hear you were downsized, but on the other hand your positive attitude seems to make this the beginning of a wonderful opportunity to rediscover things about yourself and your skills that you may have forgotten or taken for granted over time.

I, personally, like the idea of consulting. Though I don't know the specifics of your skill set, there is ALWAYS a niche for different consultants and you can compensate for the sometimes sproradic employment by typically higher fees for your work...and it would give you more control over your life in the process.

I know you'll land on your feet...you're simply too stubborn not to!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 02-06-2004, 03:46 AM

Jerry,

Just tuned in and am so sorry to hear your news. As the other vintage architect, your experience hits home.

Our firm has shrunk from 175 to 135. We have never had to work harder or run faster. It is just as likely we will be competing with a 3-person firm or a thousand-person firm for a commission. In that, there is both good news and bad. Small firms can compete very effectively in this marketplace. melesniak hit it well earlier with comments about passion and client focus.

Teaching the business of architecture is something most of our schools aren't very good at. It would be interesting to find one that is willing to try. Penn State has one of the very few architectural engineering programs in the country. I think their graduate placement is 100%. Might be an interesting possibility on either the teaching or learning side.

Some recent reads:
Let Your Life Speak - Listening for the Voice of Vocation by Parker Palmer
Execution - The Discipline of Getting Things Done by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan

I am taken by the excellence and caring of the posts. This must really be a community!

Jerry, all the best. Wish that snow and ice would get of the ground for a quick theraputic lap or two.

Brian
Old 02-06-2004, 04:13 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Sorry to hear this, Jerry. Your vintage buddies have given so much sage advice. I can add little, however, I know you're very intelligent and well educated. You've also made lots of friends in the industry. Many of the engineers and other professionals here in our area who were victims of this downsizing thing have become consultants (even to the company's who let them go) and are doing extremely well. So . . . its a thought, I suppose. I agree with the ideas about teaching -- I'd expect you'd make a great college professor. Blessings & all my best to you.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Smokee
Here's another idea. Seems to me the small house is making a comeback. But it isn't the boxy little house of the 50's, it's the cozy empty nester house for people with some money to spend. I see more than a few architects making a living at this kind of thing here in the Pacific Northwest. Check out some of the Fine Homebuilding books on cottages and small houses to see what I'm talking about. Like George Costanza, I always wanted to be an architect.

So sorry about your layoff. I feel like I've been on the bubble for five years now and I've seen so many great people go out the door, it's just downright discouraging. The very best of luck to you.

Gary

Once again Smokee and I are on the same page. I've got a great house which I love, and suited me well for the past 5 years. The big dream home. But ya know what? It's too damn big now. What are my options? Go back to the dark, boxy center hall colonial? I hate the enclosed slew of rooms. I love this house because the floor plan is very open. Tons of huge windows. Very bright and airy. We need someone to design and build this hose, only 1/2 the size. Same features, same style, just trash the wasted formal dining room, the loft, knock off one bedroom, etc. The aging boomers are going to be demading this. The existing housing stock in the target square footage is dated and ugly IMHO. There is a HUGE need for this. And as us boomers age further, the demand will only increase. Supply and demand. It's a wonderful thing. This has been a hot button of mine. I was going to call my builder and suggest it. Jerry, take the ball and run with it.

Quick Reply: Downsized...