S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

ElliptiGo: The new bike/elliptical/running exercise machine.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 3,020 Likes on 1,675 Posts
Default ElliptiGo: The new bike/elliptical/running exercise machine.

ElliptiGo

Have you heard of this new machine yet? I read about it in the Orange County Register so I went and saw a couple today at Performance Bicycle in Laguna Hills. I'm intrigued and plan to go back again, when I've gotten rest to try one out. I used to run, but now bike and use the elliptical in the gym, instead, because my back couldn't take the pounding of running. This is like all the exercises are combined without any pounding.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Looks like a fancy clothes hanger to me.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are certainly lots of creative equipment options to spend money on. But -- Lainey's right -- if all they do is gather dust and act as a clothes hanger, well, it's just spent money.

Get out there and walk. Walk some more. Don't stop. Keep at it.

Now I just need to take my own advice... HPH
Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm not a walker. I do ride my bike 30 miles at a stretch and actually still use my weights home gym, twice a week, that I bought in 1997. I also hit the gym for the elliptical, and will go do 7 miles tonight. I just always liked jogging the most but had to quit while I could still walk.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud
There are certainly lots of creative equipment options to spend money on. But -- Lainey's right -- if all they do is gather dust and act as a clothes hanger, well, it's just spent money.

Get out there and walk. Walk some more. Don't stop. Keep at it.

Now I just need to take my own advice... HPH

Rick uses our treadmill faithfully, especially in the winter, when getting out to walk is more than a challenge and just not fun. As a matter of fact, it's squeaking and he's thinking he may need a replacement soon.

They do have some pretty cool gym equipment with which folks can get a real workout. However, gym equipment at home, or at the gym, is not for me. I like to be outdoors, walking, recently riding my bike a bit and for indoor exercise I'm getting into my aerobic dance class.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras

ElliptiGo

Have you heard of this new machine yet? I read about it in the Orange County Register so I went and saw a couple today at Performance Bicycle in Laguna Hills. I'm intrigued and plan to go back again, when I've gotten rest to try one out. I used to run, but now bike and use the elliptical in the gym, instead, because my back couldn't take the pounding of running. This is like all the exercises are combined without any pounding.
I watched the video, wow. It seems like a great running alternative I question the safety and balance. Maybe because it's so extreme it just looks scary to me, not as scary as the price however. Let me know after your test "run".
Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts

I saw a few of these during my last charity ride. I prefer my road and hybrid bike and strength training in my home gym. I ride all year and work out in my gym on alternate days. No health issues, good weight control and I enjoy it. Any activity is good and recent research proves that people who exercise, even moderately, have less of a chance to develop Diabetes, Dementia and other health related issues. JUST DO IT.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1316733156' post='20997108
Have you heard of this new machine yet? I read about it in the Orange County Register so I went and saw a couple today at Performance Bicycle in Laguna Hills. I'm intrigued and plan to go back again, when I've gotten rest to try one out. I used to run, but now bike and use the elliptical in the gym, instead, because my back couldn't take the pounding of running. This is like all the exercises are combined without any pounding.[/size]
I watched the video, wow. It seems like a great running alternative I question the safety and balance. Maybe because it's so extreme it just looks scary to me, not as scary as the price however. Let me know after your test "run".
Maury, I watched a few other videos on their site also. There's one on "your first ride." It looks pretty easy after you get on for an hour. It's expensive but the bike I bought in April was at least twice that much, and my Hoist gym was too. I aim to try one out today. I'll post after I do. I sent an email to ElliptiGo asking if they had plans for a red or blue 8C, since I don't like the green, orange, black or pink it comes in. No plans for a new color now, since it just launched this summer. They aren't too far from me in Solona Beach, part of San Diego.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I saw a few of these during my last charity ride. I prefer my road and hybrid bike and strength training in my home gym. I ride all year and work out in my gym on alternate days. No health issues, good weight control and I enjoy it. Any activity is good and recent research proves that people who exercise, even moderately, have less of a chance to develop Diabetes, Dementia and other health related issues. JUST DO IT.
Good going, Ray.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 PM

I went back to Performance Bicycles today and took the ElliptiGo 8c out for a few laps around their parking lot. What fun! I felt like a little kid with a brand new bike. If I buy one I need to practice more before taking it out on a bike path. You really are up high and that's fun but that also means if you crash you've got a long way to fall. I didn't have any trouble jumping on and making it go but I was very careful in turns and stopping. It needs more top end, too.

I went over to Revo, another bike store that sells them, after wards. They didn't have any in the Lake Forest store but said they would soon. But I did talk to an employee there who told me he thought they were well made. He also said he couldn't get the hang of it the first time he tried. I'm used to the elliptical at the gym so it was a piece of cake for me.

So, I'm seriously considering getting one but I'm not an impulse buyer when something costs that much. The 8c in the stores is not the same as the 8s in the brochures. They did away with the carbon fiber pedal arms since it was too flexible and ditched the fold down handle bars. I'm a little leery of buying something that hasn't been available to the public for even a year. I may wait until they get more bugs out before spending the money. Or not. I just watched some of their videos again, and I want one.

Quick Reply: ElliptiGo: The new bike/elliptical/running exercise machine.